Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dramatic increase in junk text messages
badlydrawnboy

All of a sudden, about a week ago, I started to get about 3-4 junk text messages a day. Prior to that I probably received one per month. I have no idea why this increased so suddenly—I imagine that some merchant that I provided my phone number to sold it to spammers. 

The issue is that each of these comes from a new number each time. So, blocking the number or forwarding it to Verizon doesn't do much, because I just get a subsequent junk text from a different number. 

Is there anything I can do? 

Re: Dramatic increase in junk text messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

badlydrawnboy, I understand your concern regarding those spam messages. Periodically I get them as well. What messaging application are you using? The one preinstalled in your phone or Verizon Messages?

0 Likes
badlydrawnboy

Yes, I use Messages.app on my iPhone. These are not "periodic" spam messages. I'm getting 6-8 a day now. I just got two within the last hour. 

I installed an app on my phone (TextKiller) that has eliminated ~90% of the spam texts there, which is great. However, I am still receiving all of them on my Macbook Air through iMessage. Apple does not seem to provide any effective way of blocking them.

I would even consider changing my phone number at this point, especially since we moved to a different state about 2 years ago and I've been considering getting a new number with a local area code. But I'm wary of doing this because I suspect that eventually the spammers will get this number too. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

For additional restrictions, logging into My Verizon and using the link below will bring up each of your lines.
https://myvpostpay.verizon.com/ui/acct/secure/blocks#/
The Block emails & domains portions of the page opens when clicking the +.

Check the boxes

0 Likes