Unable to roam on 4g
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am unable to roam on 4g with my iPhone Pro 12 as it only covers towers with 5g, whereas my son who has the same phone only he's on AT&T is able to roam.  This severely limits my coverage in my area and if not corrected I will switch carriers.  Had I known this when signing up, I never would've done so.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to roam on 4g
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased the device in your Verizon store and am using your preinstalled 5G sim card that it came with.  I just did as you suggested and the only one that is checked is "voice & data is 5G auto" do I change it?

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello stevepaint,

I depend on my phone every day and would be concerned too if I were experiencing any issues. We are here to help! The iPhone 12 Pro does both 4G and 5G. What exactly has been going on with your device? 

0 Likes
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's Interesting, because my son who has AT&T on his iPhone Pro 12 can use his phone all the way from my town of Orofino, ID to Lewiston, ID without a dropped call.  He has to roam off of other towers in order to be able to do that.  His phone displays LTE, I can’t remember what my phone displayed.  I had more coverage on Straight Talk.  It’s interesting that the Verizon store in Lewiston, ID told me that there were many complaints similar to mine on the iPhone 12 pro and it was peculiar to this phone only .  They also said that it would only operate on 5g, which is only available in my town, Orofino, and Lewiston.  If this isn’t fixed, I will be switching to AT&T.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly want to help and don't want to lose you as a customer. Did you recently update your device software or download a new application? Do you have a screen protector and case for this device?

0 Likes
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I have an Otterbox, with belt holster, no screen protector.  Maybe I'll check with the AT&T store next time I'm in Lewiston. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We wouldn't want to lose you as a customer, Stevepaint. Just to confirm, was your device purchased at a VZW location or Apple directly? If VZW, are you using the preinstalled 5G SIM that came with your device, or a different SIM? Please navigate to settings > cellular > cellular data options > ensure data roaming is on. Additionally, please let me know how you have 'voice & data set' on your device. This can be found by going to settings > cellular > cellular data options > voice & data. 

KiaH_VZW

0 Likes
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased the device in your Verizon store and am using your preinstalled 5G sim card that it came with.  I just did as you suggested and the only one that is checked is "voice & data is 5G auto" do I change it?

Thanks

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

stevepaint, we're here to help! Yes, please give that a try & let us know what happens. -Alicia

0 Likes
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went to voice & data, and switched the check mark to LTE, a few days ago, so will that still let me get your 5G service?  So far, I have not gone out of town so I can't check it, but I'm still able to make and receive calls & text ok at home.

0 Likes
stevepaint
Enthusiast - Level 3

I tried your suggestions and switched to 4G and it made no difference at all in my coverage.  My original post was that when traveling with my son who's on AT&T he was able to roam whereas my phone would only be active in my city.  If this isn't solved I'm going to switch carriers ASAP.

0 Likes