Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Verizon Bait and Switch
TimTravers

another story about the Verizon Bait and Switch Trade in

I was recently on the Verizon Website and was completely amazed that they were offering me $800 for my iphone 8 Trade in. for an iphone 12 pro... not even a iphone 13.  So I place my order .. from start to finish everything says that i will be getting $800 trade-in. my phone arrive in the mail and my invoice says I only get $400 Trade in.

I actually go to a Verizon store (not an authorized dealer) for help. the "Lady" doesn't even get off her stool and tells me to go outside and call 611 for help. She wouldn't even pull up my receipt or look at my account. i call 611 and Bob was very nice and courteous but told me I THAT I misunderstood what the website said. This was definitely not the case. I had been watching this promotion for awhile was waiting for the phones to come back in stock.

Since I was not getting what was promised to me I was going to return the phone. The Store I was at did not want to do the return and asked me if I would take the shipping label and box to a UPS Store and send it back... Remember I am at a VERIZON STORE!! I said no. they started my return.. the gentleman asked me to verify what I paid in taxes which I told him to check my receipt. I jokingly asked if he wanted me to pull up my banking and  show him the transaction and he responded YES THAT WOULD BE GREAT!! can you believe that... I pull it up and he then says .. Yes that is what your receipt shows. I WAS LIKE .. YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!!

I have been with Verizon for around 20 years. between 4 phones, ipads, etc I pay Verizon over $3,300 a year. For them to "Bait & Switch" for $400 just seems stupid. But I thought I would share 

I totally do not expect to hear a response from Verizon with the exception of... We are sorry you  feel you weren't handled correctly. we will make every effort to correct this situation.

1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Verizon Bait and Switch
mama23dogs

There is no bait and switch.  The ad is accurate.  

The offer is on the base model.  Just like the MSRP ads on cars.  If you add more, you pay the difference.  The base model is $799

If you want more storage, you pay the difference. If you want the larger size or the ultra you pay the difference.

This is no different than any promotion in history or by any other provider.  

And it’s just like the old two-year contracts.  If you wanted the biggest best and newest phone you paid $400 upfront with a two-year contract. If you bought the minimum phone that you could get entirely free with a two-year contract. The rest of the cost was subsidized as part of your service, $350-ish over the 2 years.  

Hey, nobody likes their cellular provider and nobody likes their cable company.

76B1A01F-CC11-4DE8-B8D4-D44CD5112DC2.jpeg

View solution in original post

Bigkat50

I was watching Tv and saw the offer for a free I-phone 13 on us. All I had to do was turn in my phone broke or not. And have an unlimited plan. So I went to Verizon store near my house. I entered the agent asked me how can I help. I said I wanted the deal for the new I phone 13. He said just sec. Looked up my account. He said we do not usually swap I-phone for Samsung. I said it is not what the add says. He then said it is with a unlimited plan. I said I had an plan as well. He then said it was for first time users. I again said this is not what the ad said. AS I got up to leave he then said oh wait we can give you 1000 dollars toward a new galaxy if I am interested. Said thanks my galaxy note 10 5g is fine. I will be looking for a new company soon

0 Likes
mama23dogs

@Bigkat50 wrote:

I was watching Tv and saw the offer for a free I-phone 13 on us. All I had to do was turn in my phone broke or not. And have an unlimited plan. So I went to Verizon store near my house. I entered the agent asked me how can I help. I said I wanted the deal for the new I phone 13. He said just sec. Looked up my account. He said we do not usually swap I-phone for Samsung. I said it is not what the add says. He then said it is with a unlimited plan. I said I had an plan as well. He then said it was for first time users. I again said this is not what the ad said. AS I got up to leave he then said oh wait we can give you 1000 dollars toward a new galaxy if I am interested. Said thanks my galaxy note 10 5g is fine. I will be looking for a new company soon

The deal for existing customers is not full credits.  At best you get a half price/$440 in credits.  It’s in the information online.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We always want to ensure you get clear and accurate information so you can make the best decisions for your need when making a purchase. We want to help you stay!  I would love to take a closer look at the best available offers for your account. Please send a Private Note here for more personalized support.  -Yale

0 Likes
Henry16

Hi, they did something like this too good ol bait and switch. I'm heading back to Tmobile and never been happier. Verizon has one of THEE worst customer services ever.

0 Likes
Nicodog

Their latest 'bait and switch' is a TV add for a free Samsung S22 by trading in: Any Galaxy phone, Any year,  In Any condition, for a free S22. Nothing stated in the add about a pro rated policy unless you freeze the add and read the infinitely fine print at the bottom.  When I went in to take advantage of their offer they wanted $350 difference. Their add appears to be purposefully misleading which is the  definition of a bait and switch scheme. Transparency doesn't seem to be something Verizon believes in.

0 Likes
mama23dogs

There is no bait and switch.  The ad is accurate.  

The offer is on the base model.  Just like the MSRP ads on cars.  If you add more, you pay the difference.  The base model is $799

If you want more storage, you pay the difference. If you want the larger size or the ultra you pay the difference.

This is no different than any promotion in history or by any other provider.  

And it’s just like the old two-year contracts.  If you wanted the biggest best and newest phone you paid $400 upfront with a two-year contract. If you bought the minimum phone that you could get entirely free with a two-year contract. The rest of the cost was subsidized as part of your service, $350-ish over the 2 years.  

Hey, nobody likes their cellular provider and nobody likes their cable company.

76B1A01F-CC11-4DE8-B8D4-D44CD5112DC2.jpeg

mama23dogs

Well they marked the wrong answer as the correct answer, the correct answer was My first reply which was that the offer on the website for existing customers was half price.

The correct answer was my first reply which was that the offer on the website for existing customers was half price. New lines could get a full $800 off

0 Likes
Bonniee16

I just had the most outrageous experience ever with Verizon! I am posting it here in hopes that someone will tell me what government office I can report this to and get some action.  It is a long story but I will try to keep it brief.

I called Verizon to complain that my monthly bill had gone up and to ask for a new promotion.  I was told there were no promotions available for me but I could get a really good deal on a new phone.  I was told by the Verizon rep that I could trade in my Samsung Galaxy Note 5 for a Galaxy S22+ and get $800 credit to be paid to me monthly for 36 months.  I told her I'd need to think about it and I'd call back.  I called back later that day, spoke to someone else.  She looked up by record and saw what I was saying was true and I got offered the same deal and accepted that offer.  The agent began to process the transaction.  She put me on hold while she did this.  I held on for 1 hour and 15 minutes and then I was told that she was having some trouble processing it and she would call me back after it was processed.  She called me back and told me that I cannot have that deal but she has another deal for me where I get $400 credit back for the trade in.  I told her that was unacceptable and that she cannot do this because it is actually illegal.  It is called bait and switch. I asked to talk to a supervisor.

The supervisor, Geraldine called me back and I explained all this to her and she said I was right and apologized profusely.  She asked if she could make up for it by putting $400 cash credit in my Verizon account to spend however I want and then I can buy the phone with another $400 credit over 36 months.  She asked if I would accept that deal.  I accepted it. She asked me to hold on while she processed this.  I held on for over an hour and when I was simply disconnected from the call.  She did not call me back that day or night or ever.  

I called back first thing the next morning (this morning) and was told that she was in and she would call me back at her first opportunity.  She did not call back.  I called her again in the late afternoon and she would not take my call.  I have been calling and calling all different kinds of people all day today and telling them my story.  The last person I spoke to said that because there is no record of my getting that offer and/or accepting it, they cannot do anything.  I told them to listen to the recordings!!!  Each time I was told I was on a recorded line.  He told me he does not have time for that and then he hung up on me!  There is someone out there that can help me,  I just know it.  I am at my wits end.  What can I do?

0 Likes
mama23dogs

It’s not a bait and switch if you find out before you have taken the bait that you cannot have the deal.

The note 5 is an antique.  Even $400 is way more than it’s worth. 
If you want a better deal, take your old phone and go over to AT&T where they actually will give you $800 as a trade-in value for any old S class phone

0 Likes