iPhone 12 Coverage Issues
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the last several months the coverage for my iPhone 12 Pro, specifically on voice, has been awful. Rarely do I see more than two bars and 5G only shows when I am in a Verizon store. The speed on data has not been awful, although there are times when it is poor. But I am mostly on wifi and therefore it is not a problem. But the voice is terrible and it was never an issue before. Reading online, it appears there is something with the iPhone 12 (mine is Pro). 

I have screenshots of when the signal drops completely and you only see "...." There is literally no signal. I took it into the store and they swapped the SIM card. Same issue again. Took it back, and they reset the Network Setting. Guess what? Same issue. I also was told it is a 5G issue and I am on a basic plan, so got sold on the best plan and most expensive. I did it as this is a work phone and I rely on it all day long. But now I am in between Apple and Verizon and both tell me it is another issue or it is fine. But the service is so bad that I am ready to drop the family 4 lines + watches + more and go elsewhere. It is a shame you have to waste time reading forums and posts to see if anyone else has the same issue. But what else do you do other than leave and go elsewhere? Cell coverage and phones have become the new cable company in my view. You pay more and get less. 

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 12 Coverage Issues
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rossg18,

Service you can rely on is always essential. We want to keep you connected and make sure things work awesome for you. We're very glad to help get to the bottom of this so we can get you back in action. You mentioned that you have multiple phones. Are these issues happening to the other devices you have or only on this phone? How often do you have these issues?

-Andrew

0 Likes
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I am the only one with the issue. We have a 13, 11 Pro, and SE, and all of them seem to be fine, or just "normal." Funny thing was, I had the basic 5G Start or Start Unlimited and my wife had the 5G Do More. The other two lines are also 5G Start or 5G Start Unlimited and do not have any issues. Anyway, I took their advice and upgraded to 5G Get More + International due to my business. They first told me this would solve the problem because you are putting more towers up and blah, blah, blah. I really did not care given the importance of the phone and reliability and did the upgrade. I showed the tech the issue I have with signals as I take screenshots when it is poor, but more importantly when the signal is gone completely and I have to reboot the phone. He told me to put a new Sim in, which I did, and there is no change. Today, the person at the store told me resetting the network settings will do it. No change. In fact, minutes after I left I lost cellular coverage. 

I have not compared to my wife or anyone else, but one thing that is odd compared to my iPad is when I go to General > Cellular> the carrier services take me to Verizon items, but it says, "Add Cellular Plan" under the Cellular settings. I may be wrong, but I thought that used to say Verizon. 

Either way, I have contacted you all too many times, three trips to the store, consecutive bills in the $300-$400 range (granted, the international is there), but I feel like I was oversold on your high-end plan. I honestly do not mind paying as it is for work and I need the best. But I am a day away from going to another carrier and ending this. If it really is the Apple 12, someone should acknowledge that and help me out. I am not looking for a freebie, but it is in great shape and still under Apple Care and all of that. Ultimately, it is the Verizon voice coverage. 8 out of 10 calls end with me having to drop out because they tell me they cannot hear me or I cannot hear them. I also have calls fail, and then the signal drops. 

I posted here as I cannot stand another chat decision tree and knowledge answer. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

rossg18, thank you for all of this information. The last thing we want is for you to go through all this trouble. Let's figure this out. Do you have the Data Roaming turned on or off? Do the dropped calls happen everywhere you go or just in one particular location?  -Alicia

0 Likes
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I’ve tried roaming on and off and it doesn’t make a difference. The issue is variable and mostly anywhere I don’t have WiFi. I can understand there are dead zones and there are spots I’ve had before that are understandable. But every time  I look down I have one bar even with 5G, which I have now and will share. Or, nothing at all. It’s ridiculous especially now that I’m paying for the jacked up plan and international. 

I am at a loss and can’t afford to spend time going in and out of stores, working with Apple on a relatively new phone, and the back and forth on who’s issue it is and if there is actually a problem. 

I also understand there are complexities to the configuration you have to understand, and it’s not your fault, but I have a phone that used to work just fine outside of what I would consider normal issues. I’m outside a major city, an area nobody else I know who has Verizon has an issue, yet I can’t make two calls in a row without them telling me I’m breaking up. Either I go buy a new phone and spend $1k or I go to another carrier, which by the way, would love the family along with me and offer incentives. 

look at the two examples below and tell me that’s expected and I should have a good voice quality? I doubt it  

E89A0A7E-BD85-4137-8827-E380BDF217AD.jpeg

AEE5656C-4F59-4ECD-ABCA-CBC6E8E432D8.jpeg

0 Likes
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

My two kids - the lines called N and E rarely handle phone calls. My wife, who’s line is ***, does not have the issues. Her plan was the more robust one so the one store sold me on the plan I have now and claimed this would resolve the issue. He also gave me a new SIM card. 

but my phone / line is the only issue. Yo be honest, the watch stops working from time to time on cellular but I really don’t care. BTW, I have an iPad through a work account that has a Verizon plan and never have an issue. Granted, that’s data and not voice but there is clearly something wrong with my phone. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Rossg18, please make sure to edit your post to remove any personal information. This is a public platform. Have you had the chance to get the SIM Card replaced? 

-Kevin

0 Likes
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

I thought I was posting direct to you on the reply. Can't seem to see where you edit but if you can remove that phone number, please do. Yes, the SIM has been replaced as mentioned. Didn't change anything. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the additional details and the screenshots. The last thing we want is for you to think about leaving us. What is your ZIP Code? Are you using a physical SIM card on the phone and did you notice the service issues start after an update?  ~Roger

0 Likes
rossg18
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, there is a physical SIM card. Its hard to say if an update caused the issue as its been going on for ~ 2 months. Im on the latest iOS. There are multiple reports of this online with the 12, but nothing conclusive 

0 Likes