iPhone 12 Pro 5G UW Not Working
jjones3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Essentially my phone will work fine on LTE or 5G, but as soon I walk into a 5G UW area the Internet just stops. It doesn't say I have no service, in fact I have full bars with the 5G UW symbol, it just stops working. No pages load, no apps using the Internet work. I feel like this is probably an issue with the phone, but I wanted to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

Edit: Chicago region

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 12 Pro 5G UW Not Working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That is certainly not the experience you should be having. Let's see about getting that corrected. Are you using the SIM Card your new device came with?

NoahS_VZW

0 Likes
jjones3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, original SIM with phone.

I should have also noted it was working when I first got the phone. And only recently have I noticed this failure. I can't remember exactly when it started though, but my assumption is it could be tied to an iPhone update. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jjones3, thanks for the helpful information and we'll be sure to get this 5G UW service issue resolved together for your iPhone 12 Pro.

Please use the link attached for how to Reset Network Settings on your iPhone. http://spr.ly/6604HWb4e

Keep us posted on any changes.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
jjones3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Resetting the network settings seems to work, but only briefly. It eventually stops working. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jjones3, 

Thank you for the details. You mentioned the software update. Can you tell me what software you are on now? Do you have your phone backed up?

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
chunkyblamm
Enthusiast - Level 2

My 5guw doesn’t work either, I’ve had to disable it in settings because it’s making my phone useless whenever I’m in a 5guw zone.  I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max running 14.7.1.  SIM card came with it, from insurance.  I’ve tried resetting network settings but this did nothing.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

chunkyblamm, making sure you have the services you need is vital. Let's investigate. When did this concern start? What happens when you try to use your services (calls, text, data)? May we have your nearest intersection, City, and zip code, so we can accurately pinpoint your location?-Sylvia

0 Likes
mepstein111
me_epst
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm having exactly the same problem.

I had no problem with LTE ... or 5G... ever... had my iPhone 12 Pro since they were released last year.

HOWEVER:  I have never seen (that I remember) a verion "5G U/W" connection... but 5G always worked.

NOW HOWEVER:  I've started to see 5G UW sometimes.. and whenever I see that I need to switch the cellular mode to LTE and turn off 5G because.. 5G UW just hangs with no network connectivity.

Re: mepstein111
chunkyblamm
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to both apple and Verizon yesterday and was told it’s the network.  Even though the phone picks up the 5GUW signal it’s too weak to properly function based on your location.  They basically explained to me, not in these words, that the network is still in its infancy and unless you’re right underneath the pole that broadcasting it’s unusable.  Probably rolled this out a little too early.  They should make an option to turn off 5guw but leave 5G on.  For now I’ll just continue to use LTE I guess