iPhone 12 Pro won't charge wireless with Otter Box Defender case
robBinNC
Enthusiast - Level 2

There's quite a bit of dialogue on Apple support about this. People have various Qi wireless chargers that work fine with iPhone XS & 11 Pro, but don't work with iPhone 12. I am using an Atomi charging stand and the iPhone 12 Pro will not charge with the Otter Box Defender Pro case installed. I have the same type of case on iPhone XS and it always charged fine. If I remove the silicone cover from the Otter Box case, the iPhone 12 will charge. Otter Box recommends their charging pads for "optimal charging experience". I am skeptical and they don't offer the stand option anymore. The problem is basically with the change in design of the iPhone 12 Pro and is no longer tolerant/compatible with the slight gap the Otter Box Defender adds. Customers should be advised of this issue. Removing the silicone cover to charge wirelessly is less convenient than plugging the phone in. 

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 12 Pro won't charge wireless with Otter Box Defender case
Edunei
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just got in my otterbox in got my new iPhone 12 Pro and am having the same issue. No problem with same setup on my 8 plus. Any fixes?

robBinNC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up switching to a thinner case (TORRAS Shockproof Designed for iPhone 12 Case) and throwing the Otterbox in a drawer for now. I am now using CHOETECH Wireless Charger, 10W Max Qi-Certified Fast Wireless Charging and this still does not work with Otterbox but works fine with the Choetech. There may be other chargers out there that might work, but I don't know of any. I'd prefer to use the Otterbox because it grips better. The Torras has slipped out of my pocket several times now but at least lived up to the shock resistance.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It concerns us to hear that you are unable to charge your device. We will be happy to look into this for you. Have you tried to place it in different ways to see if the issue continues? DavidR_VZW

robBinNC
Enthusiast - Level 2

2 Different stand chargers, various positions with Otterbox case iPhone 12 Pro will not charge. iPhone XS charges fine with Otterbox case on both chargers.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for those details, robBinNC. Have you been able to reach out to the manufacture of the wireless charger that you have to see if it is compatible with your device and with the OtterBox https://atomismart.com/support/. 

0 Likes
406mafia
Enthusiast - Level 1

Apple and Otterbox need to look at this. I am having the same issue. It will charge for a little bit, then it stops. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

406mafia, we understand the importance of making sure your device is properly charging with your wireless charger. Let's review. How does your device charge when you remove the case? What is the Make/Model of your wireless charger? 

0 Likes
JHP11
Enthusiast - Level 1

I bought the iPhone 12 Pro yesterday along with a Verizon Fast Charge charging pad and the Otter Defender Pro - all from Verizon.  I cannot get it to charge with the wireless pad.  I have moved it all over the pad.  I assume Verizon would not sell these to me unless they would all work together.  Please advise.  Thanks.

robBinNC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would not appear that Verizon is NOT acknowledging this issue and is still selling incompatible products because there is no official  position on this. I ended up shelving the Otterbox case in favor of a thinner case that does not impede wireless charging and have had no further issues. On the Apple support forum, someone mentioned using a 15W charger successfully (Cygnett PrimePro 15W) with the Otterbox Defender case. 

0 Likes