Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 8,685 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions
local signal reception now limited with new iPhone 12
AKHerb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Our area has limited cell phone reception so we purchased a signal booster/enhancer.  We and our friends saw improved reception from 1-2 bars to 3-4 bars (LTE and 3G) - on iPhones 5, 6+, and 10.  After a couple of us upgraded to iPhone 12, we have 0 bars.  Nothing else changed.  We've gone through the Apple recommended phone settings, Verizon recommended settings and when we place all our phones next to each other, same result, 0 on the 12 (not "no service").  We think it's the new antenna in the iPhone 12 that allows for 5G reception (which is unavailable in our area).  Has anyone questioned the (decreased) effectiveness of the antenna's ability to receive other than 5G signals?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: local signal reception now limited with new iPhone 12
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to look into this with you. Which signal booster are you referring to? Is this a 3G or 4G booster? *Robert

0 Likes
AKHerb
Enthusiast - Level 2

SureCall Flare 3.0 Cell Phone Signal Booster for Home Yagi Antenna Configuration | Integrated indoor antenna for easier install | Covers up to 3000 sq ft | Boosts Voice, data for 4G, LTE, 3G

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You might want to try to switch back to a 4G only SIM card to prevent the phone from attempting to search for 5G when it isn't available. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@AKHerb

Thanks for confirming the model of the signal booster you are using. Seeing that this is not a Verizon Wireless provided signal booster, we cannot guarantee this signal booster will work with your Verizon iPhone 12 device. We do offer other signal boosters that are compatible to our devices. You can check them out here: http://spr.ly/6607yQ6Rv.

Also, do you have Wi-Fi in your home? If so, I recommend activating and utilizing the Wi-Fi Calling feature on your iPhone to improve your indoor coverage: http://spr.ly/6608yQ6Ra.

If this is not an option, then you can switch the Cellular options to "LTE" only by following these steps: http://spr.ly/6609yQ6Rx. Let me know how that works out for you. -Tony

0 Likes
AKHerb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have turned on LTE only, which did not improve reception.  I'll try the SIM card for 4G but not sure where to get one.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those are certainly good things to attempt with this going on, AKHerb. I understand the new antenna on the Network Extender seems related, so have you attempted to disconnect it from the Network Extender while it is unplugged, then reconnect it fully and plug the equipment back in?

*Zaak

0 Likes
AKHerb
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have reconnected the antenna on my signal booster several times with no noticeable difference in signal strength on the iPhone 12 or other phones used. 

I ran across another possible explanation on the Apple Community Support forum.  It's beyond my knowledge base but sounds like a possible explanation for my difficulties.  Any thoughts?

May 20, 2021 5:11 PM in response to supreet.s8 

Sadly, it's pretty much up to your carrier, as I suspect it's still a matter of your local cell tower assigning your 12 Pro Max to a frequency the tower does not handle well due to configuration, local conditions or whatever. Because the 12 Pro Max can handle that channel, it's being assigned to that channel and your experience is the result.

For example here are the FDD LTE frequency bands supported by both devices:

• XS Max: FDD LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
  • 12 Pro Max: FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)

If the cell tower base station controller sees the 12 Pro Max can use band 28, which will be lightly congested as not many other phones use it, but there are issues with those frequencies due to tower configuration, foliage disturbing propagation, etc., you'll see your XS Max have no issues but your 12 Pro Max will drop the signal. When it rejoins the network, the controller will again see "Oh, a device that can use Band 28" and… rinse and repeat.

It's really cellular carriers trying to wash their hands of the issue and leaving customers stranded if you will as a result.

To "fix" this your carrier would need to send a tech team to the site, run tests on that band, notice that certain bands have issues and either fix the issue at the tower if possible, or program the controller not to assign devices to that band - all of which require an expensive crew to go out to the site and spend time there. This is also why when that does happen, suddenly the phone starts working with or without a carrier settings update but without an iOS update.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

AKHerb, thank you for the information you provided. We want to make sure we provide you the help you need. We sent you a Private Note, please respond to the private Note at your earliest convenience. JacobG_VZW

0 Likes