How to replace defective phone on a prepaid plan
VE1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello and thanks for trying to help. 

I spent 4 hours on the phone with Verizon yesterday. Everyone agrees that my new device (not the sim) is defective but no one can tell me how to manage the replacement on a Prepaid Account.  I am within my 14 days.  

After talking to 6 people, the last person suggested I bring the phone and my receipt to a Corporate Verizon store - wait outside due to the pandemic and request to speak to the manager - hopefully he/she will help you.  Oh and BTW, you can't call the store due to the pandemic and while it says I can make an appt online every time I try, it won't complete the process.

Has anyone successfully managed a replacement of a new phone (Iphone SE 2020 purchased from Verizon) and if so how?  I was transferred multiple times to the same departments - it was exhausting and I really still don't have a clear answer.  

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and suggestions. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to replace defective phone on a prepaid plan
VE1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, after 5 hours online with Verizon and speaking to 7 different people and 5 different departments - 4 of those hours consecutive, it didn't work quite the way you suggested.  Although I purchased it online, I did a full prepay on the phone and no one at Verizon seemed to know how to replace a defective phone.  Finally, it was suggested that I take it to a Verizon corporate store and speak to the manager.  Of course you can't just walk into a Verizon store these days in the midst of a pandemic and I wasn't able to get an appt online. No matter how many times I filled out the form for an appt, it told me none were available even though I could see that there were appts available.

I was finally able to do a video chat with Verizon and they were able to make the appt. for me.  The manager could easily see that the touch screen was not responsive and was defective out of the box.  He was able to help me, however, even he set up the new replacement phone incorrectly which required further effort.  Fortunately, all is fixed now but this process was a nightmare. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

To return a defective phone during 14-day worry-free period, you would take back to place of purchase. If ordered online, you would send back in same packaging, using the return label. Let us know if this helps. 

0 Likes
VE1955
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, after 5 hours online with Verizon and speaking to 7 different people and 5 different departments - 4 of those hours consecutive, it didn't work quite the way you suggested.  Although I purchased it online, I did a full prepay on the phone and no one at Verizon seemed to know how to replace a defective phone.  Finally, it was suggested that I take it to a Verizon corporate store and speak to the manager.  Of course you can't just walk into a Verizon store these days in the midst of a pandemic and I wasn't able to get an appt online. No matter how many times I filled out the form for an appt, it told me none were available even though I could see that there were appts available.

I was finally able to do a video chat with Verizon and they were able to make the appt. for me.  The manager could easily see that the touch screen was not responsive and was defective out of the box.  He was able to help me, however, even he set up the new replacement phone incorrectly which required further effort.  Fortunately, all is fixed now but this process was a nightmare. 

0 Likes
AP0108
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a new iphone with trade in instant credits applied. I picked the phone up in store 2 days ago and the phone wont turn on, nothing. I contacted customer service for help and they offered to ship me a new one and have me send the defective one back but i wanted it sooner so i opted to go back to the verizon store. BIG MISTAKE. They couldnt figure out how to exchange it with it literally charging me $80 just to return the device. Almost 3 hours later they throw up their hands and que customer service to call me while im still in the store. I explain the situation and the store rep even talks to the phone rep and the phoe rep says he's got to manually activate the defective device to exchange it and he put me on hold (no music) and after a couple minutes checks back and says his manager is overriding it and to hang on. 15 minutes of complete silence go by with me and the store rep just sitting there waiting. I finally ended the call and the rep signalled them to call me back immediately. the initial announcements said they were open until 7pm and finally it came to the last one which said due to covid19 they closed early i checked the time. 633.) They literally left me on hold and clocked out. The store rep suggests i chat with customer service because "they can do things we cant'"

So i leave too exhausted and appalled to even react. So after 2 hours chatting to the supervisor via my verizon app he's still trying charge me for the exchange and create a brand new order to replace the defective device and make me pay the tax on it again! 

IT SHOULDNT BE THIS HARD TO EXCHANGE A DEFECTIVE DEVICE. Shame on you, Verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, let us look into this for you and further advise. Please send us a Private Note.

0 Likes
AP0108
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sent. Please do.

0 Likes
AP0108
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just wasted another hour until i was finally getting told to pay $70+ in taxes for another phone to replace the one they sold me 2 days ago that was dead on arrival 😑  then they told me to go back to a verizon store because they could help me. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be happy to look into your concerns with you. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note here, or reach out to us directly at 1-800-922-0204. 

VZW_RobertH

0 Likes