Is the iPhone SE 'SIM Free?'
EmK
Enthusiast - Level 3

I went into my local store today with the intention of clarifying that there'd be no problem activating a new iPhone that I was going to buy at the Apple Store, a "sim free" phone.  I want this because I don't want to be beholdin' to Verizon - I want the freedom to switch carriers if I grow dissatisfied with VZW.

They seemed surprised that I'd go to Apple -- 2 reps assured me that certain iPhones, and I believe they said everything from the 6 onward, were sold "unlocked" by Verizon.

Is this, in fact, true, and is there any difference between "unlocked" and "sim free?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon store tells me an iPhone SE or 6/6s will be "sim free"
Tidbits
Legend

Yes all Verizon phones are unlocked. They'll work anywhere as required by Block C rules.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Yes all Verizon phones are unlocked. They'll work anywhere as required by Block C rules.

0 Likes
EmK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the quick answer.  As I dig further, let me ask more:  I see that being unlocked doesn't necessarily mean that the iPhone you buy from Verizon will be moveable (due to frequency) to ALL other carriers.  Since the only two in my area that have decent coverage are VZW and ATT -- let me specifically ask if an iPhone that I buy at VZW can be taken to ATT?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The iphone works on all the Major carriers and their MVNO carriers as they are all the same. If you look at regional carriers you have ever to ask them what spectrums they support and check with Apples KB to see what the iphone supports.

0 Likes
sick-of-it-all
Enthusiast - Level 2

All Verizon phones support the frequencies to work everywhere but China I believe. They are unlocked. I've popped a t-Mobile SIM in mine with no trouble.

All new release iPhones will be hardware SIM free, but still contain a SIM slot from what I remember reading. They will be software SIM's, with the hardware slot phased out over time. This will allow multi SIM operation as some phones outside the US have had for a while now.

0 Likes