intermittent issue trying to send group messages
jimrobson

When trying to send messages to groups, especially groups that include Android users, the app sometimes chokes and fails to send the message. This doesn't always happen, but when it does, it sometimes takes as many as 20 attempts before the message finally goes through. When my wife and I are in the same group, and we are sitting next to each other in the same room, sometimes her message will go through fine but mine won't, or vice versa. Her phone is a new SE, and mine is a 5-year-old 6. My phone has had this problem since it was new, so it has persisted through multiple iOS upgrades. *Also, when an Android user sends an image via text, sometimes it comes through to the iPhone and sometimes it doesn't. My daughter has sent us a couple of images recently that came through to my 6 but not my wife's SE. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: intermittent issue trying to send group messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's certainly a frustrating issue to have on two very different phones, jimrobson. We'll certainly help look into this as much as we can, especially with the new iPhone SE having this now too. Are the picture messages affected also part of the group messages, or separate?

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
jimrobson

Yes, the issue with the picture messages also occurs only with group texts. Also, the problem only occurs when there is at least one Android phone in the group. If the group is all iPhones, we don't have any issues. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing this helpful information, jimrobson. We want to make sure you and your wife are receiving all of your group text messages. Let’s continue to review. Can you please let us know which text message application you are utilizing (pre-loaded, VZW Messages, third party)? How are your data services working when Wi-Fi is off? Also, can you please share the available memory space for your device? Please go to your device Settings> General> iPhone Storage, to review the details.

0 Likes
jimrobson

We are using the pre-loaded text messaging application in both phones. 

iPhone SE: 17.8 GB of 128 GB used

iPhone 6: 27.4 GB of 64 GB used

Thank you for investigating this!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for providing us that information, jimrobson. Do you experience this while in one remote area like your home?  Do you and your Wife share an Apple ID? 

0 Likes
jimrobson

1. We are almost always in our home because of COVID, so it's difficult for me to confirm that the issue occurs outside of our home. 

2. No, we don't share the same Apple ID. We have separate Apple ID's. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jimrobson, 

Thank you for working through this with us. Can you send messages to Android users that are not in a group? Do you receive or send any messages on your phone from the group and vice versa?

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
jimrobson

Q: "Can you send messages to Android users that are not in a group?"
A: Yes, this issue primarily occurs with group texts. Occasionally, I will see the issue with a 1:1 text, but that is relatively rare. 

Q: "Do you receive or send any messages on your phone from the group and vice versa?"
A: Yes, as mentioned at the outset, this is an intermittent issue with group messages. I would say that messages go through without issue about 60-70% of the time, and the other 30-40% have issues. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for sharing that info, jimrobson. Let's continue working together. Have there been any recent changes to your device? (e.g., software update, new apps downloaded, etc.) What messaging app are you using? (e.g., Verizon's Message +, the messaging app that was included with your device, etc.) - RobertC_VZW

0 Likes