Block unknown numbers?
tpaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the past several hours, every five minutes, a fax machine has been calling my cell phone.  Verizon support's solution to this is to change my number which I've had for 15 years.  iPhone doesn't appear to have a way to block this; if I click the circle-I next to the call in the call history, there is no option to block, presumably because there is no calling number.  I'd have hoped Apple would have a way to block calls from missing numbers but they don't appear to have done so.

I found reference to a *77 existing years ago to block calls which had been *67'd to hide the number, then further reference to Verizon turning that into a revenue generator by doing away with it in favor of a monthly fee 'anonymous call rejection' feature, but even that seems to have disappeared.

Is there any way for me to stop this thing from calling me?  Obviously changing phone numbers is not an option, and I can't set my phone to only permit calls from contacts, i.e. selective do not disturb, because I use it for business.  Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Block unknown numbers?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the fax machine using the same phone number? If so, I would personally create a new contact name for it to record the number and let set the phone to block it individually.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
tpaipv6
Enthusiast - Level 2

The calling number has been hidden by the calling side, so it comes through not only as 'unknown caller' from a name display perspective, this call actually has no number associated with it, preventing me from blocking it on the iOS side.  A long time ago, people used to do this from their land lines by dialing *67 before the number to call, and their number would be hidden from caller ID. 

Verizon is letting this caller-less number pass through their network to bother me, but doesn't seem to care.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know that receiving repeated unwanted phone calls is not ideal. We're here to assist. I'm curious have you heard of FamilyBase? Please click the link provided and refer to number 5 under the blocking calls section. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/caller-id-block-faqs/ Also, here's another link that'll teach you more about Family base. https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-familybase-faqs/

JoelD_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes