Can't connect to Extended Service
Husker1215

While Traveling on Interstate 72 West of Jacksonville, IL my iPhone7 works fine.  However, my wife's iPhone X fails to connect to Extended Service.  We both use Verizon.  I do not see settings for managing this in the phone.  Is there a customer solution to fixing this issue?  Is it the phone or is it Verizon? As you can imagine, I am seriously concerned for my wife's safety when she is traveling that road for 4 - 5 hours alone.  This trouble continues on Highway 36 through Missouri.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't connect to Extended Service
boringusername
Master - Level 1

Are both Verizon versions? Also if you are geting signal and she's not I can't see how that's a Verizon issue.

Husker1215

Yes. Both phones are with Verizon.  When she tries to place a call she gets a recording. 

0 Likes
Husker1215

We are both getting a signal.  The difference is my phone indicates EXT for Extended Service and hers does not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Husker1215, you should be able to rely on your devices in an extended network coverage area to keep you connected with everyone. Keeping your wife safe is a priority. We are here to work toward a resolution. We would like to start by gathering more information. What does the recording say when she tries to use the phone in this area? How does the phone work everywhere else? Has the phone ever automatically changed to the extended network?

DavidC_VZW

0 Likes
Husker1215

We don’t recall the exact message as we were driving. Maybe something about not being able to connect to the network. Basically by failing the switch to extended it can’t find any Verizon towers close enough and can’t connect to non-Verizon towers. The phone works fine in town because there are Verizon towers. This happened with her old iPhone too. I wonder if it is an account setting?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That’s a good clue that it happened with the last device. What type of device was it? If it was an iPhone, then another consideration is that a setting transferred from that prior device’s setting to the new one. Are her devices, past and present, backed up via iCloud, iTunes, or something else like Verizon Cloud.

A step we’ll have you undertake on the iPhone X if it already hasn’t been done is a Network Reset: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-207110/
This will not erase any device data, but the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will need to be set up again.

DavidH_VZW

0 Likes
Husker1215

Thank you.  I will try that process tonight.  We also had the SIM chip replaced with a new one on the suggestion of a person in the store. My wife's phone is the iPhone X "purchsed" the day they were first released.  It is not leased.  It is the full featured one.  Not the less expensive version.

0 Likes
Husker1215

Wife's previous phone was iPhone 5S with maximum memory installed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Husker1215 Thank you for working with us, it's never easy when you have connection issues. After you reset the Network Settings test the phone and keep us posted. I'm also including our Troubleshooting link for additional help:http://spr.ly/6600EiAL6 Once you open the link scroll down and enter your device type.  DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes