I switched to the iPhone X and now my data usage is OUT OF CONTROL!
superdonca2

My daughter and I upgraded phones to the iPhone X.  Now we exceed our data plan constantly yet we feel we aren't doing anything we haven't been doing all these years.   Like $400 bill out of control.  WHATS GOING ON ?   It has to be the new phones and some settings we are unaware of.  How do we stop the bleed?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I switched to the iPhone X and now my data usage is OUT OF CONTROL! Like $400 bill out of control. What's going on Verizon?
Tidbits
Legend

Do you have icloud backups turned on?

0 Likes
Re: I switched to the iPhone X and now my data usage is OUT OF CONTROL! Like $400 bill out of control. What's going on Verizon?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, is WiFi Assist turned on or off on both phones? Check "My Verizon"'s data breakout tool to get a general idea as to which processes are using what amounts of data.

0 Likes
Re: I switched to the iPhone X and now my data usage is OUT OF CONTROL!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Seeing a change in usage would concern me as well, superdonca2. Tidbits and dexman provided some great settings to check with your phone. You can also check out the Data Utilization tool through your My Verizon to see what is using data with your phones as well. Log in here to check it out: http://vz.to/2BuIEWm.

NicoleB_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
superdonca2

yes

0 Likes
superdonca2

Yes I have iCloud backup on

0 Likes
superdonca2

To have pretty little graphs that tell me that my usage is related to Webs & Apps really doesn't tell me anything.  When my data says I am using it at 3am......I can assure you I am sleeping.  So trying to find out what APP is using data without my asking it to - is the challenge and the apps where converted from our old phone to these new ones so there's nothing new that we're doing.

I've shut off:
iCloud back up

Wifi Assists

Cellular Data on most apps

Don't use Hotspots off our phones

I feel like I'm back to using a flip phone basics.  Why have a smart phone at all. 

The crazy overages only started when I foolishly upgraded my daughter and my phone to the iPhone X.  Everything was covered over from the old phone to the new. 

SO I guess I wait until I can get out of our contract and find some other carrier that is reasonable because NO ONE can help me.  I've even gone into a Verizon store to ask for help of why our usage is out of control when my kids are in school (with WIFI) then home (with WIFI) how could we possibly be using so much data.  His response  "you mean your kids don't go out of the house and use their phone".   Really?   Thanks for that answer.  It really helped. 

The only help.....down load (for another fee) the family base and try to monitor it all and figure out what the issues are with our phones.

I cry every time I receive another $400 bill and I can't even shut our phones off because I'll get whacked with each phones $900+ bill

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Smartphones automatically execute Administrative tasks....such as backups....overnight. The phone will try to access 4G/LTE as a first choice and WiFi as a second choice.

I have a tiny 1GB/month plan and never go over. I keep 4G/LTE disabled in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and S7 Edge all the time to force all data over to WiFi and enable it on an as needed basis.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are always right here to help clear up any misinformation and answer all of your questions about the service and your data usage. If you are using a 4GLTE device, it will use data regardless of what time it is or if you are actually using it. Think of all of the things you have your device doing at any given time: email, social media, weather, picture messages, stock market applications, new applications, pretty much any application you have downloaded onto your device that needs a data signal to retrieve information can use data without you picking your phone up. This will happen regardless of the carrier. You also mentioned that your daughter has an iPhone X. Any Apple device that you purchase needs a data signal for all the "cool" features to work. If the device is connected to your home WIFI and that WIFI signal goes out completely while you are connected to WIFI(and you have not turned off your cellular data) our network will kick in to make sure that function takes place the way it should. Any Apple product also has WIFI assist pre-programmed into the software. This feature is designed to help your WIFI Signal and data signal work together at the same time. This means that if you have your device connected to WIFI and the WIFI signal gets weak the network signal kicks in to help the phone perform whichever funtion you are requesting it to do. It sounds like we need to take a look at your daughter's data sessions to figure out what is going on and make sure all of the settings on her phone are correct. Please reach out to our social media team on Facebook: www.facebook.com/verizon or Twitter:http://bit.ly/2C0IdUK 

so we can help look into this further for you.

0 Likes