Incoming call locations wrong
Erikn

Local calls are getting reported as coming from many places, but none even close. I’m in Austin, 78704, but being told my calls from the 512 area code orignate in different places. Most often, it is Grand Rapids, MI, but sometimes I get a Canadian origin notification. These are legitimate calls that get this, I had assumed spoofing gone wrong but that isn’t it.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Incoming call locations wrong
Erikn

Just had one from about 5 blocks away that claimed to be from Nova Scotia...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Erikn, we certainly want all of your incoming calls to be reported correctly for you. We are here to help. 

Are you using an extra service from us like Caller Name ID or Call Filtering?

StevenG_VZW

0 Likes
Erikn

I have the Verizon Call Filter app installed. The calls report correctly in the “recents” list but come up wrong when coming in. Got another Grand Rapids MI this morning.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Erikn, are the numbers that are calling you known to you, and/or listed in your  phones contacts?  

CassieG_VZW

0 Likes
Erikn

No, just calls from people not in my contacts. Some legitimate, some not. Got a neighborhood scam call this morning that showed Grand Rapids. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Erikn, thank you for sharing these details. What is the software version that you're currently running on your device at this time? If you're unsure how to view this, please navigate to settings, general, about, software update. Also, are you on the latest software version of the Call Filter app? 

KevinM_VZW

0 Likes
Erikn

iOS 14.4.2 with latest update to Call Filter (automatic)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Erikn, we always want to ensure all your services are working correctly. We also want to ensure we are on the same page. You mentioned the location issue is happening with numbers that are not in your contact list. How do you know the location is wrong? Are these numbers that are legit people/business that are calling or numbers that are spam &/or spoofed:  https://www.fcc.gov/spoofing

0 Likes
Erikn

My first thought was that it was spoofing throwing off the system and wasn’t answering. Then I was getting voice mails from a mechanic I had dropped a car with and a friend of a friend calling to ask a question. Both were walking distance from my place, and both came up as far away. However, when I then go back to Recents on my phone, the locations are correct. It is wrong on display when the phone rings, but the Recents list then gets it right. I had another “Little Grand Rapids, MI” call this morning that was a hang up and likely a spoof. But in my Recents it shows as coming from California. In some cases, I get a list of locations that look like routing, so an American city and Canada in the location list together.

0 Likes