Questions on Wi-Fi calling on a Prepaid plan from an International location.
RTficer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions on Outgoing calls to US numbers made over Wi-Fi, with the phone in Airplane mode, on a prepaid plan (this works just fine on my current postpaid plan):

1. Is Wi-Fi calling allowed when on a prepaid plan (any restrictions or do I need to be on a specific prepaid plan)?
  2. If yes, is Wi-Fi calling unlimited? If not, how are the minutes deducted from the prepaid plan?

I am considering switching over to prepaid once I move abroad & couldn't get in touch with a live agent to get these questions asnwered. Thanks for going through my post!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Questions on Wi-Fi calling on a Prepaid plan from an International location.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, RTficer! Our Prepaid services do offer Wi-Fi Calling, and you receive unlimited minutes to do so as well! In order to use Wi-Fi Calling through Verizon Wireless, you will need to first enable it while in the U.S (under Verizon coverage area). Does this information help? 

OmarC_VZW 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Questions on Wi-Fi calling on a Prepaid plan from an International location.
RTficer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bump ...

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@RTficer wrote:

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions on Outgoing calls to US numbers made over Wi-Fi, with the phone in Airplane mode, on a prepaid plan (this works just fine on my current postpaid plan):

1. Is Wi-Fi calling allowed when on a prepaid plan (any restrictions or do I need to be on a specific prepaid plan)?

Yes, it works on prepaid with a compatible device.

1. If yes, is Wi-Fi calling unlimited? If not, how are the minutes deducted from the prepaid plan?

wifi calls are count same a regular calls.  Since all prepaid have unlimited talk and text, it’s not an issue.  

I am considering switching over to prepaid once I move abroad & couldn't get in touch with a live agent to get these questions asnwered. Thanks for going through my post!

You do understand you would be very limited and would not want to use prepaid for roaming?   Prepaid roaming is possible, but expensive, and you must pay to use service.  The cheapest prepaid plan is $35. 

0 Likes
RTficer
Enthusiast - Level 2

First off, thanks for the reply. Yes, international roaming is expensive! My intent is to use the phone in airplane mode only, and to receive texts (iMessages) and to keep tabs on my VMs. I plan on making calls to US numbers to respond to the VMs and to join conference bridges, and to send iMessages. Currently, this works on my contract plan just fine.

Going by your response, this should work if I switched over to prepaid and not incur any charges. Is that correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, RTficer! Our Prepaid services do offer Wi-Fi Calling, and you receive unlimited minutes to do so as well! In order to use Wi-Fi Calling through Verizon Wireless, you will need to first enable it while in the U.S (under Verizon coverage area). Does this information help? 

OmarC_VZW 

0 Likes
RTficer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks!

0 Likes