Texts not being received by ported Google Voice number
davidwoodward

One of my friends is able to receive texts from everyone other than me (and other Verizon numbers?).

They recently ported their number from Google Voice to Mint Mobile (T-Mobile MVNO) and there are several posts online on various web sites where users complain about this issue.   Apparently the root of the problem is that Verizon's SMS aggregators never get updated to know where to send texts messages after the Google Voice number was ported to Mint/T-Mobile.

My friend has tried reaching out to Mint Mobile, but Mint Mobile referred them to Verizon.  (let the finger pointing begin)

Unfortunately many of the online forum posts from other people having this issue seem to end up going back and forth with Verizon and T-Mobile for weeks/months before they finally get it resolved.

Does anyone know how I can get this resolved in a more expedient way?  One conversations (linked below) mentions having T-Mobile/Verizon "create a trouble ticket to the intercarrier messaging group."  I'm not optimistic that calling Verizon support is going get me very far with that request. 🙂

https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/926721-cant-receive-texts-verizon-phone-after-porting...

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/902182/port-out-problem-not-receiving-texts-from-other-carri...

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texts not being received by ported Google Voice number
davidwoodward

Three weeks later, two calls to Verizon, and four calls to Mint Mobile and still no change (constant finger pointing and baseless "problem in your area" responses).

This is the most frustrating experience I've ever had with a cell phone company.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We certainly never want any of our customers to be frustrated. Text communication is extremely important. Do you have this trouble with anyone else outside the number that was ported?

-Tionna

0 Likes
davidwoodward

Thank you for the response.  It seems that the problem was resolved shortly after your reply as I noticed I was able to text with them the very next morning.

To answer your question, it was only that single number that was ported from Google Voice that I was unable to text with.  That same person even had another line with Mint Mobile (work line vs. personal line) which was not ported from Google voice, and I was able to text to that line with no issues.

Anyway.  It's good to have this finally resolved. Thank you for anything you might have done to resolve it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

davidwoodward, we're glad to hear your texting issue with this particular line is resolved and appreciate the update. Thanks for choosing Verizon!

- Alan

0 Likes