Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15 Plus. Newphoria. Get it on us with select Unlimited plans. New line req'd. No trade-in req'd. Online only. Ends 3.31. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 3,557 Members online 268K Discussions 44K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Problems getting new service from Verizon due to Fraud department
mheadley
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have AT&T.  I am attempting to move me and my family to Verizon to save money on our wireless cell phone bill. 

I went online and attempted to order a new phone for our children, port the family numbers (that we have had for close to 20 years) from AT&T, and get SIM cards for my phone and my wife's phone (iPhone X and iPhone SE).  During the online application, I inadvertently put my first name where my last name should be and my last name where my first name should be.  Yes, I know I should have checked it more closely, but I did not think it would be this big of deal.  I found the problem after the first incident with the Fraud Department. 

I get an email from the Fraud Department, asking for my photo ID.  I upload a photo of my State issued license and call back about 20 minutes later and was told that my order is being canceled due to being unable to confirm my identity and discrepancies in the information provided.  After looking things over, I see the problem (see above) and made another order with Verizon correcting the problem.  I get a message during the application process that I need to call the Fraud Department and I do so.  I am told again that they cannot process my order due to being unable to confirm my identity and due to discrepancies in the information I have provided.  Frustrated, I call it a night and go to bed.

I attempted another order in the morning that had the same result.  I placed the order online and received an email asking for a photo ID. I uploaded my state issued ID and was told by the Fraud department (female) that everything was fine and I just needed to upload my photo ID because I was a new customer.  I received a phone call back and got a voice mail (sorry, I was getting ready for the day and was not waiting by my phone for a phone call) and was told again that due to discrepancies on my application and that Verizon could not verify my identity, Verizon was canceling my order.  Before making this order, I checked and double checked the application information and it was all correct.  I called the Fraud department back for some clarification due to the prior woman from Fraud that told me everything was ok and now they were denying me an order.  I spoke to a Fraud department person (after being on hold for 30 minutes) who gave me a little bit of information.  I told him that everything was ok and then I uploaded my ID and now it is being denied.  The Fraud department person advised that it was not the name on my ID (as it has my middle initial) and that the Verizon computer system was denying my order.  The fraud department person advised that my order was being canceled. 

The next day, I go to our local Verizon store and start the order process again.  I figured that being in the store would deal with the identity issue.  I tell the customer service representative about my issues the night before and he advises me that we can just do it locally and that should fix the problems I had with the online orders.  During the order process in store, I am told by the local customer service representative that there is a hold on my name (or phone number, not sure which) and that we have to call customer service to get the old order canceled.  The local customer service person then called the online customer service person who advised that there is a fraud hold on my application and that I need to talk with them.  The local customer service person then called the Verizon Fraud department and we (me and him) sat on hold for close to 45 minutes before someone answered.  The local customer service person explained the whole situation to the Fraud department person who stated that will look things over and get back to use.  We were placed back on hold for about 5 minutes and then the Fraud department person asked to speak with me.  When I took the phone, the Fraud department person advised that due to discrepancies in the information provide and that they could not verify my identity, I was being denied application and could only purchase prepaid services.  I spoke with the Fraud department person for about 10 minutes asking the reason and what information and what I could do to resolve the issue and the only response the Fraud department person would give me is that it is propriety information, that the computer made the decision, and that Verizon could not process my order and it was being canceled.  I asked a few more questions and found out that from the Fraud department person that I can NEVER get post-paid services from Verizon and I could only get prepaid services and there was nothing that I could do to resolve that issue.  I will acknowledge that I was upset due to being in a Verizon store but continued to ask questions about trying to get the matter resolved.  I began to think that it was due to my first application with the mistake made by me and figured that there must be a way to get a human involved to make changes necessary to resolve this matter.  The Fraud department person did not assist to help me and continued to say that I could not purchase post paid services and could do prepaid services and that was due to inconsistencies in my application and Verizon could not verify my identity.  The Fraud department person then hung up on me as he said that there was nothing more he could do. 

I am at a loss as to what I need to do.  If anyone out there has had a similar experience or can give me some guidance, please let me know.  I know that I can just stay with AT&T with my current plan, but I am looking to save a significant amount of money a month with the new plan through Verizon.  I am also unwilling to do prepaid plan as I cannot bring my iPhone X and iPhone SE with me (they are paid off in full) and I would like to continue to have the ability to pick what phone I want, rather than what is available with prepaid. 

Any and all information that anyone is willing to provide would be appreciated.  Thank you for reading my post and my issues and hopefully someone can help or give me some guidance with this matter. 

Labels (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic