Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,592 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Dropped calls in house while on WiFi
NorrinRaddical
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok, I've been reading up on this but I haven't seen my exact scenario: Im in zip code 11747 with an iPhone 8.  CELLULAR service in my home (and in my entire area for that matter) has become horrible--in the house it bounces between 1 and 2 bars.  Dropped/poor quality calls aplenty. I initially thought that when the phone was on WiFi that calls wouldn't get dropped/bad reception, but that wasn't the case as, apparently, the way it works is that the phone will jump to LTE if the WiFi signal is less than optimal and/or there's at least one bar on LTE.  Forget about 3G--that's just a synonym for "No Service".

So, I then changed the setting on my iPhone to "WiFi Calling on this iPhone", which caused the "VZW Wi-Fi" wording to appear in the upper right corner, even though I was already on the WiFi--for some reason, you have to turn this on to "really" get WiFi or whatever VZW Wi-Fi is (as opposed to simple "Wi-Fi).  Or so I thought.

Now, despite being on WiFi AND "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" on, I STILL get dropped calls.  I notice that when I am in this configuration that the VZW Wi-Fi words will come and go, i.e., sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not--it fluctuates.  What I did notice is that when I have a dropped Wi-Fi call it's when the VZW Wi-Fi is NOT visible on my screen.

So then I put the iPhone in Airplane mode (while "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" is on) and no more dropped calls.

Great, right?  Not really--why do I have to go to the trouble of putting my phone into Airplane mode for "WiFi Calling on this iPhone" to work and not drop out?  I hate being in Airplane mode as I am unable to receive text messages from non iPhone users.

Anyone?

Labels (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic