Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 6,391 Members online 269K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

No incoming calls while int'l and on WiFi calling - "Announcement 24"
AKMatt
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a letter that I mailed to VZW Engineering about a recurring issue that they haven't been able to fix in the last year. I've spent at least 6 cumulative hours on the phone with global roaming support.

Basic problem: Incoming calls stop working while I'm connected internationally with WiFi Calling (only). It takes a network repair ticket to fix it, and then it comes back after weeks or months. I'm on prepaid.

This issue cost me a potential job. I'm ready to port out to another carrier.

"Dear Senior Engineer,

Over the past year, I have repeatedly experienced a serious network issue with WiFi Calling while overseas. I’ve submitted multiple repair tickets. They have temporarily fixed the problem each time, just for it to recur again months or weeks later. I would urge you to review these tickets to familiarize yourself with the issue.

It appears that the root cause has not been identified or repaired.

The specific issue I’ve had is that incoming callers dialing my phone number receive a Verizon message that says: “Welcome to Verizon Wireless. This call cannot be completed because there are restrictions on this line. Announcement 24”. This announcement is heard by all callers, whether dialing from a landline or another wireless carrier. They even hear that announcement when my calls are forwarded elsewhere, and even sometimes when my phone is powered off. All outgoing calls always function normally, as do text messages. My telephone is almost always in airplane mode while overseas and is connected to your network only with WiFi Calling. I’ve experienced it with multiple iPhones and in multiple European countries. The Internet connections are stable and GAN is not blocked. It does not happen while I’m in the USA. (And like I mentioned, the problem does resolve after Verizon engineering fixes it — but only temporarily)

During my many hours with global roaming support, there has been some discussion that my plan doesn’t support international roaming (which is incorrect - it does support TravelPass, but that point is moot because I’m only using WiFi Calling with no foreign LTE network roaming), and it has been mentioned that my configuration might be different because I’m on the Alaska LTE-only network without CDMA. Regardless, even if incoming calls were somehow disallowed, the correct action would be to forward to voicemail and not give callers the impression that I’m a deadbeat who hasn’t paid my bill.

This issue has caused me to miss career opportunities and caused big issues with my clients, not to mention the hours of time I’ve spent with VZW support. It’s obviously very serious when people can’t call you. I’ve decided that I need to port my number to another carrier in the near future because of this, but I want you to be aware of this issue so it can be fixed. I could delay my departure if you contact me promptly with results of your diagnosis and repair. WiFi Calling support on prepaid was the primary reason that I chose Verizon.

I would be interested to hear about the resolution of this issue."

Labels (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic