Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
iPhone 15. Newphoria. Get it on us. Online Only. No trade-in req'd. Limited time offer. Buy  |  Details.
end of navigation menu
3.2M Members 5,953 Members online 268K Discussions 43.9K Solutions

Who I have the same questioned this topic

Activate the FM radio chip!
ebinrock
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon Wireless,

Please activate all FM radio chips in any and all smartphones that have them.  It is a travesty that you have disabled this feature, especially when it's a public safety issue.  During emergencies, data networks tend to fail before traditional radio waves.  Not only this, but when data plans are limited, members of the public should not have to pay extra (in data overages) if they need to stay tuned for however many hours to important local information during an emergency - especially when local radio is already available for free.  This is data gouging at an all-time low.

Aside from the emergency/public safety issue of receiving local radio for free, there is the pure and simple moral issue of a carrier denying a customer a physical feature that they paid for in the cost of their smartphone.  My HTC One (M8) phone, for example, lists an FM radio feature on its website (HTC One (M8) - Listening to FM Radio - APPS & FEATURES - How-tos - Support | HTC United States), yet on the Verizon edition, this feature is not available.

I am forwarding this message to my congressman and the FCC, both of whom I believe support legislation to prohibit carriers like yourself from disabling this feature in smartphones.  FEMA Administrator Craig Fugate thinks it is vital for smartphones to have traditional FM radio capability, because during emergencies, the demand for streaming radio stations for essential information rises to the point of overloading the system.

Please consider re-activating the FM radios in smartphones, Verizon!  Anyone reading this who agrees with my comments, please bump!  And visit freeradioonmyphone.org.

Labels (1)
Who I have the same questioned this topic