4G LTE Data-stick Mac/Linux/Windows-other authentication information.
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

The following information has been released publicly by VZW advanced support so I feel I can share this now:
If you want to use the UML290 on the Mac/Linux/UNIX/other-platforms you can now do so if you have the engineering knowledge or a little know-how:
Quick Notes: Verizon 4G LTE uses the GSM APN authentication method through a GGSN (similar to AT&T) and 3G (1X/EVDO) traditional uses the HA CDMA method. The old CDMA authentication method has been posted years before so I won't repost that.
You WILL NOT GET SUPPORT UNTIL THE OFFICIAL VZACCESS Software comes out on the Mac.

4G LTE GSM General Device Settings-
Phone Number: PhoneNumber
Account name: PhoneNumber@vzw4g.com
Password: vzw

Advanced Settings-
Carrier: Generic
Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: vzwinternet
CID: 1

Click OK, then connect and enjoy.

So on the Mac connection manager (generic apple), make a profile for your UML290 hardware, should be a modem. Make a GSM connection profile with the above. Phone number is your data-stick phone number (fake phone number, used for system identification, get it from VZAccess or your account page online). Account name is "phonenumber@vzw4g.com". (Basically add @vzw4g.com to your phonenumber. Password is "vzw", same as 3g CDMA. In GSM/3G/4G carrier use generic (no special parameters). Model is GPRS (GSM/3G, same as 4G). GSM APN is "vzwinternet". CID is 1 if your drivers need it.

Enjoy 4G LTE GSM technology by VZW on your Mac! I will be running this on my Linux engineering dev machine soon. Finally I LOVE YOU VZW!

Oh and if you're just installing it without a Windows machine using it at least once, your SIM card has to be provisioned by VZW support or a store...

If you want a visual Mac guide:
http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/tzones/
Official VZW support (replace the inetgsm.vzw3g.com APN used for overseas roaming with the 4g APN used domestically as listed above):
Mac: http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=30063
Windows XP/Vista/7 (If you don't want to use VZAccess): http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=29355
Username/Password/Everything as said above applies, replace as needed.

NO VZAccess on Mac yet, check your data usage on vzw.com my account... The SMS warning messages should work since it's a standard GSM 3G/4G implementation by VZW if you can get a Mac/Linux app that watches for SMS from the data modem driver interface.

Verizon will probably add a second APN for smart-phones when they come out with LTE chips. Example: The "vzwinternet" APN gives you a public IP address as that's mean't for data-sticks. They will probably use something (I'm just guessing here) like "advdevice" for smart-phones and that will give the smart-phone a private IP address (10.x.x.x) like the current CDMA HA's do. With APN data traffic separation VZW with 4G GSM tech. can manage traffic volumes better with bandwidth limits, etc. AT&T/T-Mobile are doing the same now and it has recently been implemented on the legacy CDMA HA's also. Also firewalling, security.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4G LTE Data-stick Mac/Linux/Windows-other authentication information.
moates
Contributor - Level 3

For customers who followed these instructions and have disabled their modem’s ability to connect to the Internet on a Windows PC, here are steps to restore your modem to the correct default values to ensure compatibility with the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

1. Connect your modem to a Windows PC with VZ Access Manager installed for your modem
  2. Launch VZ Access Manager
  3. Press CTRL+T to bring up a terminal window
  4. At the terminal prompt, type: at+cgdcon? and hit enter
  5. No further action is required if you see +CGDCONT: 1,”IPV6”,”vzwims”,”0.0.0.0”,0,0
    1. If you are unable to connect using your 4G LTE modem, contact Verizon Wireless for assistance.
    2. If you see +CGDCONT: 1,”IP”,vzwinternet”,”0.0.0.0”,0,0 follow the following steps to restore your modem to default values:
      1. Type: at+cgdcont=1,“IPV6”,”vzwims” (NOTE: This is case-sensitive and there are no spaces.) and hit enter
      2. Close the terminal window
      3. You should now be able to connect to the Internet on Windows OS with VZ Access Manager

Verizon Wireless is working to release VZ Access Manager for Mac OS in the coming weeks which will provide users with the best possible user experience including technical support from Verizon Wireless, the ability to check your current data usage and receive roaming and usage alerts.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

As I said, 4G LTE USES DIFFERENT NETWORK AUTHENTICATION THAN 3G. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN A 4G AREA that's LIVE.

0 Likes
Joel_Berman

When I inserted my new LTE Modem intoi Fedora 14 it asked me for the carrier and the APN.  I used vzwinternet for the APN and it started working just fine.  No need to enter the phone number or anything else.

Got 15.13 Mb/s up, and 7.72 down on first speed test.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Joel, awesome! Looks like the Fedora distro auto-detected the VZW provisioned SIM card and got the settings from the SIM programming by VZW AUTOMATICALLY! Only thing the client GSM stack needs to connect is the "vzwinternet" APN and away you go. My Ubuntu was similar.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Oh my the LTE speeds are CRAZY! I can totally WORK remotely with this!

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

Oh on the Mac, Apple's GSM (3G/4G/LTE) dialer should work automatically with the above settings. If not try telling Apple's OSX native dialer to dial "#777" for the LTE modem. So far my reports on this engineering fix is that ONLY THE UML290 WORKS WITH OSX! VL600 is using some proprietary LG chipset (aka NON-QUALCOMM which works with OSX LTE) that I can't figure out until VZW fixes it officially with LG.

0 Likes
willzzz99
Contributor - Level 3

If you need still further instructions, see these screenshots my friends at evdoinfo.com have made:

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/3479/63/

0 Likes
njtech

Great job this does in fact work on my macbook pro OS: 10.6.4

0 Likes
rutiger

is there a config to allow it to work on 3g?  seems to work on 4g but not 3g areas.

0 Likes
tweaker360

Hey Will, are you in the habit of not giving credit where credit is appropriately do, or did i just miss your shout out to the guy who actually figured this out and posted it first?

If i have misspoke, and you did give me credit, then I certainly do apologize. TweaKer360...

0 Likes