Slow/Non-existent LTE Service in Soho/NYC
LittleBearNYC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an iPhone5 and work at Broome and Sixth Avenue in Soho NYC. When I initially switched from AT&T to Verizon last year I was getting slow but decent 4G/LTE speeds at work. but for the past 3 months service has been non-existent all day indoors. When I turn off LTE service on my phone and go to 4G it is about 10 times faster.

My questions are:

Why doesn't the phone automatically switch over to 3G when there is no LTE service?

And why do I get for bars and the LTE indicator when the service is so slow I cannot even run a speedtest or connect to any apps' servers?

thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: Slow/Non-existent LTE Service in Soho/NYC
VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

The second question - you have "service" as in you are connected, but Verizon has had capacity issues with LTE in NYC for quite some time now (and have not made any noticable improvements in at least the past year apparently), so you will constantly see disconnects or slow speeds....

Some related open threads for midtown, but apparently downtown and soho are suffering now as well (look at the "support" discussed in these threads as well...sadly, nothing to brag about to your friends on other carriers in NYC)
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/798232
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/783107
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/787806

Just a hunch - if a VZ rep responds to your post, you will get a response similar to the following:
"What's your zip code? Let me investigate the issue.  We want you to have great LTE speeds.  Have you ever had a trouble ticket open?"    Then once you supply the information, it will go unanswered or you will be told that they either a) see no issues with the area, or b) acknowledge capacity issues, but can't tell you of any upcoming improvements.

Sorry, probably not the response you were looking for...but it's the unfortunately sad state of VZW in NYC these days.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LittleBearNYC, congrats on your upgrade to the iPhone 5. This device is designed to connect to the best wireless tower. As a result, it's very normal for your device to fluctuate from 3G to LTE. To speed up your service, I recommend that you delete any unwanted applications and text messages. You will then need to power your device off/on to soft reset. These steps will improve the performance of your data access.

LasinaH_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
timmiii888
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the LTE service is horrible downtown and in midtown. I was at the San Gennaro Feast on 9/21/13 and I couldn't use my phone at all. My 3 other friends that had Verizon (two iPhones and one Android SGNII) weren't able to load up anything on Safari or Google Maps. My one other friend with her AT&T SGII loaded up Google Maps and found what we were looking for within 10 seconds.

This is not an isolated incident either. Everyday when I'm in midtown, my LTE would suddenly drop and I'll only be able to receive 3G. Even with 3G I can barely send a simple text or load up Google Maps, Maps, Yelp, Facebook and etc. This service isn't cheap but I definitely feel like we are (the customers) are getting heavily shafted.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi timmiii888!

I want you to experience the best of our network in your area!  Please advise what zip code are you experiencing problems?  When did this problem begin and is this happening indoors, outdoors or both?  Let me know so I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
timmiii888
Enthusiast - Level 2

10012, 10016 and 10017. Those are the three areas which I know I have issues with.

VZWNY
Enthusiast - Level 3

Right on cue!  Does VZW not communicate internally?  Do VZW support reps not research already reported issues before asking?  This is sadly amusing at this point (and frustrating at the same time!).
Referencing: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/998888#998888, https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/993787#993787  and https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1001775#1001775

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We appreciate the references, VZWNY! We don't mean to amuse and frustrate at the same time. When new posts are created we respond to them as they come in. During the time frames in these areas the towers appear to be at capacity which will in turn affect the signal in a heavily populated area. The engineers are aware of this.

TamaraH_VZW

0 Likes
DavidJay1000
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just switched to Verizon  from Tmobile. I purchased the latest LG G2. I am literally appalled at the quality of your network service in NYC. I switched to Verizon because my girlfriend’s iPhone 4 (3g only) gets consistent service whether we are in NYC or nearly anywhere on our extensive travels in the states. Network quality and consistency is the ONLY reason I switched. Terrible mistake.  Verizon 4G LTE is nearly useless in NYC. I can barely check my email in Soho, Nolita, Chinatown, downtown and midtown. Your 4G network is obviously completely oversaturated and insufficient here. Unfortunately the phone/network  is not smart enough to automatically switch over to 3G (which continues to work nearly perfectly, albeit slowly) as long as it can lock on to a 4G signal - - - regardless of how useless that 4G signal is. Nor can you manually set the phone to 3G only. Believe me, I would.

There is not a problem with my phone. It is incredibly fast the moment I step outside of Manhattan. Do you need another example (aside from the hundreds of other posts on this board from unsatisfied customers)? If so, just go into the main Verizon store on Broadway in Soho. The demo phones are nearly unusable in your own store.

When will these obvious network issues be addressed?

Thank you,

Name removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

gonzomoma

Also here in Georgia @ 30901, 30909, 30814

0 Likes