question-Connect google wifi to 5G gateway
Not applicable

Just setup 5G internet Gateway today and testing via laptop/phone, speed is good comparing to local internet provider. But problem is i got bunch of devices currently connected via google wifi mesh and would like to connect google wifi to gateway since saw a post saying gateway limit like 10 or certain number of devices connect directly to gateway.. Not sure if that's true since i couldn't find any official document on verizon website. Also another thing is i got too many old devices or just not support 5Ghz band, so i turn off band steering and just name 2.4/5G wifi different name and connect separately. 

Has anyone successfully connect google wifi to gateway? Any setup tips for that? I do see there are LAN1&2 on gateway but not sure which one should connect to google wifi. TIA

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: question-Connect google wifi to 5G gateway
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either LAN 1 and LAN 2 would work. All LAN ports are bridged in a layer 2 fashion. To expand your LAN to Google Mesh, a connection between the Verizon router/gateway combo LAN and the Google Mesh LAN is required (not WAN!). Then you need to disable the DHCP server on Google Mesh as there's a DHCP server on Verizon combo already. Having two DHCP servers on the same network would cause conflicts.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Either LAN 1 and LAN 2 would work. All LAN ports are bridged in a layer 2 fashion. To expand your LAN to Google Mesh, a connection between the Verizon router/gateway combo LAN and the Google Mesh LAN is required (not WAN!). Then you need to disable the DHCP server on Google Mesh as there's a DHCP server on Verizon combo already. Having two DHCP servers on the same network would cause conflicts.

Coopie1

Anyone have detailed instruction on how to do this?  Have the same set up and would like to extend the Gateway with the Google mesh.

System has been stable and good wifi on my 1st floor, need to extend to my 2nd floor

Thanks in advance

0 Likes