Can't do ANYTHING e-mail related on my Samsung Galaxy Stellar!!?!
DoctorBlueBox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, this problem has been happening that I've noticed.. since Tuesday of this week, December 18, 2012. It started out as simply not being able to check my email correctly. It kept telling me that my password or username is incorrect... But this was simply untrue.

THEN, when I got the idea, I tried a few other things. It won't let me do ANYTHING at all e-mail related. I've tried:

1. setting up a new email account with one of the other services from the list provided...

2. Deleting my email account

It either has to do with my phone, or the capability of sending data to the email servers. It just refuses to communicate with e-mail servers! I'm getting Error 503 - Service Unavailable messages when I try to delete my account. Other times I just get "request timeout" type messages.

This is pathetic and it's ticking me off big-time.

What can I do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can't do ANYTHING e-mail related on my Samsung Galaxy Stellar!!?!
KnightlyScribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

What email platform are you using?  If it's Exchange, you may have to contact your admin.

0 Likes
DoctorBlueBox
Enthusiast - Level 1

It hasn't let me continue with ANY of the email platforms. Mainly I'm just using a Yahoo! Mail account set up specifically for use on my phone. Since seeing the problem, I haven't been able to set up ANY other email account through any of the platforms. I get server timeouts and "Error 503: Service unavailable" messages no matter what platform I choose. I can't configure any of them to read from any account. I sorta thought I mentioned that in my original post, but either way, I don't have any problem mentioning it in further detail again.

I've since tried to reset the phone to the factory settings, but that hasn't helped at all. I still get the same errors and timeouts.

Apparently what's occurring is somehow the phone just won't connect to any authentication servers (or services). It does lots of other internet-related stuff. Just not e-mail authentication.

Still searching for the answer!

Thanks for your reply.

0 Likes
rogereast

Same exact situation happened on my Samsung s3. Last day email worked was dec 20 and I now get the same error messages.

0 Likes
Can't do ANYTHING e-mail related on my Samsung Galaxy Stellar!!?!
KnightlyScribe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have you tried a factory reset?  It'll delete everything from your phone and bring it back to stock rom.

0 Likes
DoctorBlueBox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, as I stated in my previous message although in a roundabout way... I mentioned I tried to reset the phone to factory settings. I should've just said, I did a factory reset on the phone. It didn't work --- rather it made the problem much more apparent, which I suppose is a good thing because it narrows down where the problem could be.

After the factory reset, I tried setting up the e-mail service again but I couldn't get anywhere. I couldn't add any accounts. The moment I tried, I would get the "Error 503: Service Unavailable" message.

I then downloaded the first e-mail client for the Android I could find with very satisfactory ratings. I believe this one is called Aqua Mail. With very little effort, it worked. Although I am satisfied that this other program is working, I'm still unsatisfied that the standard email app that comes with the phone is not working. I'd like to see this request be followed through until that e-mail app is working again.

0 Likes
rogereast

Realized my problem was only with yahoo account. Just  Tried this from  https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/790273 and it worked for me

0 Likes
DoctorBlueBox
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the reply, Roger. It was worth a try! After thinking about it in retrospect, this wouldn't have solved the problem only because both the Data and Cache were already emptied after I performed the factory reset. However, as it is, I now know how to empty the data and cache if I ever need to in the future, which I would've otherwise been unaware of.

Anyway, when I returned to the Email application, adding any account, Yahoo or otherwise, still yields the same result:

"Unable to connect to server - 503 : Service Unavailable". Actually, there's a correction -- the only one it doesn't happen with is "Corporate", where you have to set up the whole thing from scratch. But since that's not my situation, it doesn't really apply here.

So this is the main error I'm getting: "Unable to connect to server - 503 : Service Unavailable" ...

0 Likes
Bozobrain

I'm having the same problem on my Stratosphere.  503, Service unavailable for Yahoo!, AOL, and Windows Live e-mail accounts (not that I have all of those).  Corporate, Verizon.net, and Others don't give me that error message.  I know you can set up hotmail using exchange, or use the hotmail app, but both of those solutions sometimes drain my battery faster than the screen.

Calling Verizon now.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What happens if you set Yahoo and Live accounts up under Other?