Casio Commando....Yes sir, I'd like to hang up on myself right now
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having a big problem with my Casio Commando screen turning on during a phone call.  I have become a skilled technician at hanging up on myself.  The problem seems to happen most when I am moving around, or walking as the ambient light changes where ever I move.  The problem is most prevalent when walking outside and moving between shaded areas and bright sun areas. 

It is absolutely ridiculous how many times I have hung up on myself, accidentaly turned on speaker or mute, hit numbers during the call, etc.   I am not the only person having this problem.  On my account, there are 4 of these Commando's and ALL of us are experiencing this. 

I have tried hitting the power button on the side of the phone when I walk into a bright sunlit area, but it still hangs up the call.....all the time.  I have tried everything I possibly know, short of not moving at all during a call.

What is the fix for this?  Who else is having this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Casio Commando....Yes sir, I'd like to hang up on myself right now
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Have you updated to the the latest OS system (Gingerbread 2.3 update) that was released a week or so ago? One of the bug fixes was a proximity sensor error. It sounds like your issues could possibly be related to the proximity/light sensor.

Please post back with additional information.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't know what OS the phone has, but I can say this......last week or the week before all 4 of these phones on my account went thru a major update.  The phone turned itself on and off multiple times during this update.  The phone was un-useable for about 1/2 hour with all the updates.  After the update, the icons at the top of the home page are visually different.  They are VERY small....in fact, TOO SMALL to even view them now.  I don't like the new software update if this is it.

In regards to my first problem of the phone constantly hanging up on me.....I would even say that the problem has become worse since the updated software deal arrived and installed.  I don't have dates, times, occurences logged, but my feeling is that things have become worse in that regard.

I don't know what Gingerbread is.....unless you are talking about the type that comes from a kitchen 😜

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Gingerbread is the code name for the Android 2.3.x operating system.

To view the current version of the Android operating system, go to settings > about phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Android version 2.3.3

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

Alright Verizon and Casio.......WHAT IS THE FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM???  It's getting REALLY old hanging up, hitting mute, hitting speaker, hitting digits on the dial pad because this phone is malfunctioning.

Also....how can I get the larger Icons back at the top of the screen?  The new Icons after the software update are TOO SMALL!!!

0 Likes
AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi mattt181,

I understand your discontent; I would be frustrated if my calls were terminated randomly. As noted by Ann154 (Thanks), the latest software version (which you have already) specifically addressed a Proximity Sensor issue and you should not experience issues with this sensor. Please keep in mind that whenever a software update is developed some changes will take effect also on the phone's screen appearance and the icons size change noted in your post is normal.

Do you have a clear screen protector on your phone? I have seen cases where removing such protectors resolve issues like the ones outlined in your post.

Since using the Power Key to lock the touch screen does not seem to resolve the issue you may qualify for a Certified Like New Replacement of the same model if under the one year manufacturer's warranty, please visit this LINK for replacement process details.

0 Likes
mattt181
Enthusiast - Level 3

This problem still persists and has a new twist.  The phone went thru another update about 1 month ago.  After this update, there are now words on the screen when the proximity sensor turns off the normal buttons...hang up, speaker, mute, etc.  These words that pop up now stay on the screen and refuse to go away even after the call disconnects.  It is usually impossible to hang up or end the call when these words are on the screen. 

Casio/Verizon......you probably tried to make it better with this last update.....but you missed the mark!!!  It's worse.  How about a functioning fix?!?!?!?!?

0 Likes
LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Yikes! That can be quite irritating mattt181. I would like to assist you further with this issue. Send me a Private Message with your mobile number and a contact number. We would need to further troubleshoot this issue.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Lena A.

Follow me on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
E_HILLMAN
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue, did you ever get your problem resolved?

0 Likes