Re: Droid 4: ICS = screwed up
wsalopek

I hear you guys...yes, factory resets are sometimes the only solution, and even a good idea from time to time...I don't know about you, but I can't even count the number of times, esp back in the "old days" of Windoze, that I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled the operating system to fix a problem.  But that was also back before I had kids, and was able to stay up til 3am fixing the computer.

Still, I think Verizon could have put out some kind of warning out about the ICS upgrade...to expect some issues, etc (after all, the phone was basically unusable for several hours)...and I still think that marking the thread "answered" after someone suggests "hard reset"  isn't right, as many MANY threads could be "answered" that way.

Anyway...

My phone is OK now (apparently...keeping a close eye on it of course)...took about 12-15 hours for it to "normalize" after the ICS update...battery drain is back to normal, battery temp is back to normal...phone is running smoothly. 

I did make a couple changes...one was to force 3G using "LTE ON/OFF" from the Google Play Store ("4G toggle" does not work with ICS)...the other thing I did was to stop "Tasker" from running.  Of course 3G instead of 4G does save battery.  But I doubt that stopping Tasker had anything to do with fixing the phone, but I just thought I'd mention everything I did, just in case it helps someone.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I have a feeling tasker may have had a lot to do with it, with how tied in to the system that app can be. Clearing cache and data on the app may have worked and, if you use that app, you should try reinstalling it. The changes between Gingerbread and ICS may have been enough to cause your phone to not react well to that app.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

So if you had started a thread that asked how to get work email on your phone and someone suggested Touchdown, would you not mark that as a solution?  What if I think that you should use the stock email app?

My point is that the person who started the thread has every right to mark the post that solved his or her problem as the solution.  This is no guarantee that it will work for anyone else, but it did work for the person who asked the question. 

0 Likes
greytdoghome
Enthusiast - Level 1

I absolutely hate the upgrade and wish I had never done it. Now reading the comments on here at least I know I am not alone. I had a Blackberry and moved up to a Droid 4 and have had nothing but problems since day 1! Constantly dumps random contacts, freezes up, crappy battery life and that was BEFORE the update was done! Now I can barely watch a streaming video because it overheats, it will randomly drop email uploads (I have yet to get all of my emails and facebook to work properly since the update has been installed) and it is just overall turned into a very expensive piece of junk! I have 22 months before I can upgrade my phone again and it is going to be a long and painful 22 months! At the end of the day I will have to be forced to do another update on this phone. I am going to try the factory setting reset and see if that improves anything, but I hate that I even have to be bothered to do that because one should not have to deal with the garbage that this update has created. I hate the color scheme of the keyboard on Swype and text messaging...it is horrible on the eyes (esp. if you already have vision problems and are prone to migraines). Epic FAIL VZW! Now I am stuck with the POS! Oh and for those saying basically that we are whining and should wait to see what happens over the course of a couple of days...maybe VZW should take that advice when I decide to switch to a new carrier after 15 years of loyal patronage. When I pay for something I expect it to work properly and updates should make it work BETTER and not WORSE! If you managed to get the update and things went well for you...consider your self lucky.

0 Likes
wsalopek

I spoke too soon.

While yes, the phone is usable and battery drain is normal, the phone is still about 1/2 the speed it was before (it's been about 4 days now since I did the "upgrade")...lots of lag and herky-jerky-ness...ringtones are trucated...all kinds of weird stuff.  Wish I had never done the ICS "upgrade".

As far as who has a right to mark the thread answered...yes, of course the person who asked the question can mark it answered...I was talking in general...that a hard reset, while it IS an alternative to get your phone working, is not a "solution", IMHO.

To consider a hard reset a solution is one step away from saying "get a new phone" is a solution.  I mean c'mon, how do any of us feel when we might call Verizon with an Android problem, and they suggest hard reset as the answer.  That's not "tech support".

Anyway, we all have our opinions.

0 Likes
wsalopek

The phone is now working normally, butl I had to do the hard reset to make that happen.  I have installed ALL my old apps, including tasker, etc, so apparently none of that was the problem...the ENTIRE problem had to do with the ICS update itself.

Good grief.

Also, I can't say for sure what the reason is, but a couple of the programs for which I used their own ackup settings (Go SMS, Go Launcher, Pure Calendar Widget, Folder Organizer and others), were not able to find those backups after I reinstalled the programs.  This could have been because internal storage was erased, but last time I did a hard reset using this same backup method, those programs WERE able to find the backed up settings.

I also used "My Backup Pro", which has always worked well.

But...

I have lost a solid day over this ICS upgrade...24 hours of hands on work...more really (not to mention the day that my phone was unusable/slow/dying battery the day of the upgrade)...researching the issues, trying different options, and then finally several hours on the hard reset and getting the phone back to where it was before...and I still have a ways to go.

What a mess...what a HUGE mess.

I love Verizon, and stick with them for yes, the network, and also their customer support...we all pay extra for that as Verizon is the most expensive carrier...we deserve to have a higher level of service.  This ICS "upgrade" is a MAJOR screw up.

Now my wife's phone is bugging her several times per day to do the upgrade...I have told her to keep saying NO...but of course that's gonna get old real quick.

Anyone know how to disable/supress the dialog box that keeps asking is the user wants to do the upgrade?

Thanks...

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

To keep a phone working well, a Hard Reset seems like a poor option.

However, when going to a new version of an operating system? To me, it seems quite reasonable. Perhaps not necessary for a patch (a minor), but a major... I'm expecting it. Now if they would only serve up some ice cream to my phone.

0 Likes
baltouser
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did the hard reset resolve the battery problem?  The upgrade was just forced upon me, and I am having major battery problems.  The phone died while plugged in to the USB port of my computer charging.  I then used a wall charger, and the battery drained and the phone died while I was using the phone!  Really?  Yes, really. So, how can you charge the thing if a USB port and wall charger are not sufficient?  To charge it, I turned the phone off and plugged in a wall charger, but I can NOT do this several times a day.  Even at night, turning off my phone is very risky for me.  I hope there is a solution.

If a hard reset fixes this, I will be forced to do it.  But, I will do the hard reset kicking and screaming the whole time.  After a hard reset, setting up the phone takes me about 3-4 hours. 

I am as shocked as anyone about this.  As others have stated, I am not impressed with ICS and certainly the tradeoff to get it is not worth it. 

0 Likes
wsalopek

For me, most of the battery problem went away after about a day...can't imagine what was going on in the phone to change the battery drain over a period of 24 hours.

But...the phone was still much slower than before the "upgrade"...so, yes, kicking and screaming, I did a hard reset...but the phone is STILL slower than it was before ICS...a bit better than before the hard reset, but still a LOT slower than before the "upgrade".

Such a sad situation.

For me, I am considering using one of the alternative ROM's...in other words, replacing ICS completely.

Of course the downside to that is warranty issues, etc.

It's just sickening that an "upgrade" would make what was a very good experience with my Droid 4 (quick, etc), awful, just as it was with my Droid 2...slow...laggy, etc.

0 Likes
ronzos

hay vzw

as you can see we want are gingerbread back

the forced update we dont want

you took a great phone droid4 shipped with gingerbread from the factory and destroyed it with ics

we demand the ability to rollback to gingerbread after the forced ics update

we want the phone we payed for.

between Verizon Motorola and Google  no one will restore are phone to how we got them from the factory !!!

fyi you are all in violation of the android license agreement by restricting up to ics

perhaps your legal dept.might want to view the android and Apache licenses.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/

TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR USE, REPRODUCTION, AND DISTRIBUTION

1. Definitions.

"License" shall mean the terms and conditions for use, reproduction, and distribution as defined by Sections 1 through 9 of this document.

"Licensor" shall mean the copyright owner or entity authorized by the copyright owner that is granting the License.

"Legal Entity" shall mean the union of the acting entity and all other entities that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with that entity. For the purposes of this definition, "control" means the power, direct or indirect, to cause the direction or management of such entity, whether by contract or otherwise, or (ii) ownership of fifty percent (50%) or more of the outstanding shares, or (iii) beneficial ownership of such entity.

"You" (or "Your") shall mean an individual or Legal Entity exercising permissions granted by this License.

"Source" form shall mean the preferred form for making modifications, including but not limited to software source code, documentation source, and configuration files.

"Object" form shall mean any form resulting from mechanical transformation or translation of a Source form, including but not limited to compiled object code, generated documentation, and conversions to other media types.

"Work" shall mean the work of authorship, whether in Source or Object form, made available under the License, as indicated by a copyright notice that is included in or attached to the work (an example is provided in the Appendix below).

"Derivative Works" shall mean any work, whether in Source or Object form, that is based on (or derived from) the Work and for which the editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications represent, as a whole, an original work of authorship. For the purposes of this License, Derivative Works shall not include works that remain separable from, or merely link (or bind by name) to the interfaces of, the Work and Derivative Works thereof.

"Contribution" shall mean any work of authorship, including the original version of the Work and any modifications or additions to that Work or Derivative Works thereof, that is intentionally submitted to Licensor for inclusion in the Work by the copyright owner or by an individual or Legal Entity authorized to submit on behalf of the copyright owner. For the purposes of this definition, "submitted" means any form of electronic, verbal, or written communication sent to the Licensor or its representatives, including but not limited to communication on electronic mailing lists, source code control systems, and issue tracking systems that are managed by, or on behalf of, the Licensor for the purpose of discussing and improving the Work, but excluding communication that is conspicuously marked or otherwise designated in writing by the copyright owner as "Not a Contribution."

"Contributor" shall mean Licensor and any individual or Legal Entity on behalf of whom a Contribution has been received by Licensor and subsequently incorporated within the Work.

2. Grant of Copyright License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable copyright license to reproduce, prepare Derivative Works of, publicly display, publicly perform, sublicense, and distribute the Work and such Derivative Works in Source or Object form.

3. Grant of Patent License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, each Contributor hereby grants to You a perpetual, worldwide, non-exclusive, no-charge, royalty-free, irrevocable (except as stated in this section) patent license to make, have made, use, offer to sell, sell, import, and otherwise transfer the Work, where such license applies only to those patent claims licensable by such Contributor that are necessarily infringed by their Contribution(s) alone or by combination of their Contribution(s) with the Work to which such Contribution(s) was submitted. If You institute patent litigation against any entity (including a cross-claim or counterclaim in a lawsuit) alleging that the Work or a Contribution incorporated within the Work constitutes direct or contributory patent infringement, then any patent licenses granted to You under this License for that Work shall terminate as of the date such litigation is filed.

4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You meet the following conditions:

1. You must give any other recipients of the Work or Derivative Works a copy of this License; and
  2. You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating that You changed the files; and
  3. You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and attribution notices from the Source form of the Work, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works; and
  4. If the Work includes a "NOTICE" text file as part of its distribution, then any Derivative Works that You distribute must include a readable copy of the attribution notices contained within such NOTICE file, excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of the Derivative Works, in at least one of the following places: within a NOTICE text file distributed as part of the Derivative Works; within the Source form or documentation, if provided along with the Derivative Works; or, within a display generated by the Derivative Works, if and wherever such third-party notices normally appear. The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only and do not modify the License. You may add Your own attribution notices within Derivative Works that You distribute, alongside or as an addendum to the NOTICE text from the Work, provided that such additional attribution notices cannot be construed as modifying the License. You may add Your own copyright statement to Your modifications and may provide additional or different license terms and conditions for use, reproduction, or distribution of Your modifications, or for any such Derivative Works as a whole, provided Your use, reproduction, and distribution of the Work otherwise complies with the conditions stated in this License.

5. Submission of Contributions. Unless You explicitly state otherwise, any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License, without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above, nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions.

6. Trademarks. This License does not grant permission to use the trade names, trademarks, service marks, or product names of the Licensor, except as required for reasonable and customary use in describing the origin of the Work and reproducing the content of the NOTICE file.

7. Disclaimer of Warranty. Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, Licensor provides the Work (and each Contributor provides its Contributions) on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied, including, without limitation, any warranties or conditions of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. You are solely responsible for determining the appropriateness of using or redistributing the Work and assume any risks associated with Your exercise of permissions under this License.

8. Limitation of Liability. In no event and under no legal theory, whether in tort (including negligence), contract, or otherwise, unless required by applicable law (such as deliberate and grossly negligent acts) or agreed to in writing, shall any Contributor be liable to You for damages, including any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages of any character arising as a result of this License or out of the use or inability to use the Work (including but not limited to damages for loss of goodwill, work stoppage, computer failure or malfunction, or any and all other commercial damages or losses), even if such Contributor has been advised of the possibility of such damages.

9. Accepting Warranty or Additional Liability. While redistributing the Work or Derivative Works thereof, You may choose to offer, and charge a fee for, acceptance of support, warranty, indemnity, or other liability obligations and/or rights consistent with this License. However, in accepting such obligations, You may act only on Your own behalf and on Your sole responsibility, not on behalf of any other Contributor, and only if You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold each Contributor harmless for any liability incurred by, or claims asserted against, such Contributor by reason of your accepting any such warranty or additional liability.

END OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS

also  read this

http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

Licenses

The Android Open Source Project uses a few open source initiative approved open source licenses for our software.

Android Open Source Project license

The preferred license for the Android Open Source Project is the Apache Software License, 2.0 ("Apache 2.0"), and the majority of the Android software is licensed with Apache 2.0. While the project will strive to adhere to the preferred license, there may be exceptions which will be handled on a case-by-case basis. For example, the Linux kernel patches are under the GPLv2 license with system exceptions, which can be found on kernel.org.

Contributor License Grants

All individual contributors (that is, contributors making contributions only on their own behalf) of ideas, code, or documentation to the Android Open Source Project will be required to complete, sign, and submit an Individual Contributor License Grant. The grant can be executed online through the code review tool. The grant clearly defines the terms under which intellectual property has been contributed to the Android Open Source Project. This license is for your protection as a contributor as well as the protection of the project; it does not change your rights to use your own contributions for any other purpose.

For a corporation (or other entity) that has assigned employees to work on the Android Open Source Project, a Corporate Contributor License Grant is available. This version of the grant allows a corporation to authorize contributions submitted by its designated employees and to grant copyright and patent licenses. Note that a Corporate Contributor License Grant does not remove the need for any developer to sign their own Individual Contributor License Grant as an individual, to cover any of their contributions which are not owned by the corporation signing the Corporate Contributor License Grant.

Please note that we based our grants on the ones that the Apache Software Foundation uses, which can be found on the Apache web site.

Why Apache Software License?

We are sometimes asked why Apache Software License 2.0 is the preferred license for Android. For userspace (that is, non-kernel) software, we do in fact prefer ASL2.0 (and similar licenses like BSD, MIT, etc.) over other licenses such as LGPL.

Android is about freedom and choice. The purpose of Android is promote openness in the mobile world, but we don't believe it's possible to predict or dictate all the uses to which people will want to put our software. So, while we encourage everyone to make devices that are open and modifiable, we don't believe it is our place to force them to do so. Using LGPL libraries would often force them to do so.

Here are some of our specific concerns:

• LGPL (in simplified terms) requires either: shipping of source to the application; a written offer for source; or linking the LGPL-ed library dynamically and allowing users to manually upgrade or replace the library. Since Android software is typically shipped in the form of a static system image, complying with these requirements ends up restricting OEMs' designs. (For instance, it's difficult for a user to replace a library on read-only flash storage.)
  • LGPL requires allowance of customer modification and reverse engineering for debugging those modifications. Most device makers do not want to have to be bound by these terms, so to minimize the burden on these companies we minimize usage of LGPL software in userspace.
  • Historically, LGPL libraries have been the source of a large number of compliance problems for downstream device makers and application developers. Educating engineers on these issues is difficult and slow-going, unfortunately. It's critical to Android's success that it be as easy as possible for device makers to comply with the licenses. Given the difficulties with complying with LGPL in the past, it is most prudent to simply not use LGPL libraries if we can avoid it.

The issues discussed above are our reasons for preferring ASL2.0 for our own code. They aren't criticisms of LGPL or other licenses. We do feel strongly on this topic, even to the point where we've gone out of our way to make sure as much code as possible is ASL2.0. However, we love all free and open source licenses, and respect others' opinions and preferences. We've simply decided that ASL2.0 is the right license for our goals.

one last thing to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Android is a Linux-based operating system designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. Initially developed by Android, Inc., which Google backed financially and later purchased in 2005,[9] Android was unveiled in 2007 along with the founding of the Open Handset Alliance: a consortium of hardware,software, and telecommunication companies devoted to advancing open standards for mobile devices.[10] The first Android-powered phone was sold in October 2008.[11]

Android is open source and Google releases the code under the Apache License.[12] This open source code and permissive licensing allows the software to be freely modified and distributed by device manufacturers, wireless carriers and enthusiast developers. Additionally, Android has a large community of developers writing applications ("apps") that extend the functionality of devices, written primarily in a customized version of the Javaprogramming language.[13] In October 2012, there were approximately 700,000 apps available for Android, and the estimated number of applications downloaded from Google Play, Android's primary app store, was 25 billion.[14][15]

These factors have allowed Android to become the world's most widely used smartphone platform,[16] overtaking Symbian in the fourth quarter of 2010,[17] and the software of choice for technology companies who require a low-cost, customizable, lightweight operating system for high tech devices without developing one from scratch.[18] As a result, despite being primarily designed for phones and tablets, it has seen additional applications ontelevisions, games consoles and other electronics. Android's open nature has further encouraged a large community of developers and enthusiasts to use the open source code as a foundation for community-driven projects, which add new features for advanced users[19] or bring Android to devices which were officially released running other operating systems.

Android had a worldwide smartphone market share of 75% during the third quarter of 2012,[20] with 500 million devices activated in total and 1.3 million activations per day.[21][22] The operating system's success has made it a target for patent litigation as part of the so-called "smartphone wars" between technology companies.

you have no right to block us from running the operating system of are choice and should not block up from upgrading /downgrading 

you need to unlock are phone and  give us back our gingerbread that is 100 sound  no bugs  error free and that was shipped from the factory with

Motorola good job and excellent quality on building a great piece of hardware

Google  good job complying with the license and open source code

Verizon what the heck are you thinking, oh ya the all might buck

0 Likes