I have HTC One M8 and Chrome has been hijacked by update.appfansworld.com. How do I resolve these type of issue?
ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

I have HTC One M8 and Chrome has been hijacked by update.appfansworld.com. I have cleared Chrome data, cache, and uninstalled Chrome updates which seems to reset it to the initial install version. None of this helps. I am not the ony one seeing this, so what is there not some update to resolve these type of issue?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have HTC One M8 and Chrome has been hijacked by update.appfansworld.com. How do I resolve these type of issue?
MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

Open the phone in safe mode, and if it stops happening that means an app or 3rd party program is causing it.  I would recommend a hard reset at that point.

View solution in original post

Re: I have HTC One M8 and Chrome has been hijacked by update.appfansworld.com. How do I resolve these type of issue?
ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

The Verizon Protect scan turned up nothing. I have since installed Opera and will not go back to Chrome if no solution is found. I believe that Chrome is indicated as a system app and cannot be uninstalled. I think a complete Chrome reinstall might fix the issue. This reply has been flagged as a correct answer but it is not, and I could not turn that flag off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ndotl,

Heavens to Betsey! Sounds like you have been through the ringer with this update. Let's get this untangled. What type of issues are you having with the application? Is it only with Chrome? When you uninstalled the application and reinstalled it what happened?

RobinD_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

MikeyWade
Contributor - Level 3

Open the phone in safe mode, and if it stops happening that means an app or 3rd party program is causing it.  I would recommend a hard reset at that point.

Snn5
Legend

There are other malware apps that can check first as well.  Malwarebytes is free and so is avast antivirus in the play store.  give that a shot, then if no good, restore phone.  Also, keep one or the other on there if you side load apks or apps.  Turn off usb debugging and uncheck "unknown sources" as well.

ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

This only is associated with Chrome. If I have a tab open and displayed and put the phone to 'sleep', when I wake it the original tab is briefly displayed and then the hijack info appears. If I hit the phone's return arrow one or twice, I see the desired tab. It has also occurred when I used Chrome and the switch to something else, and then later go back to the Chrome tab that was displayed. I have not uninstalled Chrome because I do not believe you can, it was not an option in the Chrome App Info area. A 'reset to initial values' was available in the Chrome App Info section, so that is what I chose and received the 'new app' Accept/Decline message. I just went to confirm this and now I do not see Chrome in the App manager list. It is displayed with I display all of the apps. I can move it to the home screen and I can launch it. When I drag it to the top of the home screen the uninstall link is grayed out.  So this is beginning to stink. I would think that the hijack site is a domain that Verizon should be blocking.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

You might not can uninstall, but you can disable which should uninstall any updates.  It is a system app and is the constant default with Android devices.  There are other browsers out there though.  If you choose one then it can be the default browser.

0 Likes
ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

You are right it is a System app and an uninstall option did not see to be available. Even with it disabled it would mean I have crap somewhere on my phone. Someone suggested a reset and my latest update suggests that might be needed, but I will wait to hear what Verizon support has to say. I do want to thank you and everyone else for the quick feedback. This is my first smartphone and the only issue I have had, so I am glad I chose this phone and Verizon. 

0 Likes
ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

Running Malwarebytes and will try Avast if necessary. Once resolve I will have one (or both) protecting my phone. I normally just use it to check email so I did not think I would get infected with anything. Well, it is my first smart phone.

0 Likes
ndotl
Contributor - Level 1

So at this point Malwarebytes did not seem to post any error message and I am running Avast. However, Chrome is not listed in App manager and it is not listed by Malewarebytes and a running application even though it has the google home page displayed. The other running apps (e.g. Firefox) are listed.

So I think when Avast completes I need to do a back and hard reset. Are these the steps?

Backup:

Automatic Restore The all new HTC One (M8) | Verizon Wireless

Hard Reset:

HTC One (m8) acting up big problems NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Turn off the phone

Press and hold the Volume Down key.

Press and release the Power key to turn the phone on.

Continue holding the Volume Down.

Release the Volume Down key when the three Android images appear on the bottom of the screen.

Press the Volume Down key once to move the cursor from FASTBOOT to RECOVERY.

Press the Power key to begin the wipe.

The device displays the bootup screen followed by a phone with a red triangle.

Press the Up Volume key and Power key at the same time.

Press the Down Volume key three times to select Wipe cache partition.

Press the Power key to initiate the wipe.

Wait until the phone displays Cache wipe complete.

Press the Power key to select Reboot system now.

0 Likes