Text messages in airplane mode
Jamesca82

I’ve looked at a few other posts and not quite sure I have the same situation.  I’m currently visiting Thailand, my iPhone is in airplane mode and I’m connected to Wi-Fi.  I’m getting iMessages as expected (blue bubbles), but I’m also getting regular SMS text messages (green bubbles).

Wi-Fi calling is turned on, is that why they’re still coming though?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Text messages in airplane mode
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out here on this platform. If you have Wi-Fi calling on that would be the reason. I would put the phone in Airplane mode if you would rather not receive any calls/messagess. -Dolores

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out here on this platform. If you have Wi-Fi calling on that would be the reason. I would put the phone in Airplane mode if you would rather not receive any calls/messagess. -Dolores

MJohnson2

If you have Wifi calling on, but phone is in airplane mode and cellular is turned off, then you won't be charged international travel fees for sending/receiving texts-  is this correct?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning, MJohnson2! You have a great question! When you have the device on Airplane Mode it will not connect to the network. Does this help clarify?  ~Rachel

0 Likes
SouthFlorida

I did not receive my text messages in airplane mode.   When i returned home to my ipad, there were several messages received while I was in airplane mode.  None of those messages show up on my iphone.   Why is text messaging not syncing?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand your concern. When a device is in Airplane Mode, it is not able to connect to a cellular network. Since text messages strictly come through cellular, the text messages would not be able to be delivered, until the device is taken back off out Airplane Mode. However, if the messages were iMessages, you would still be able to receive them in Airplane Mode, as long as the device is connected to Wi-Fi. Just to clarify, have you had trouble receiving any text messages, since turning Airplane Mode off?

*Gabriel

0 Likes
belamike

Is it okay to hijack a little bit here? I now have a pixel 6A, and before that a pixel 2. Up until a couple of months ago, I have always been able to make phone calls and send and receive texts while airplane mode is on, Wi-Fi calling enabled, and of course connected to a  2.4 ghz Wi-Fi network. I am not old and dumb, everything I just said is a fact I promise. So what gives? I'm sitting here now trying to call somebody and my phone keeps telling me that my radio is turned off, which I'm aware of because airplane mode is on. But it also tells me to connect to a Wi-Fi network, but I already am. I can surf the internet and everything. Cannot make phone calls right now, and I'm not receiving texts. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be a Google points to Verizon and Verizon points to Google kind of thing. Thank you for any insight!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi, Belamike! Thank you so much for contacting Verizon, I'm sorry you are having issues with our internet service.

As my goal is to make you feel comfortable, you can trust that I am going to do my best to provide you with the help you deserve and I will be more than happy to assist you today.

Please send me a DM and allow me the opportunity to give you the best customer service experience.

>Pia

0 Likes
bradgill

If you have only wifi on with everything else off, you will still be charged for call and texts even though you are not using Verizon data. I thought I would be okay only using wifi in South Korea and got billed for over $250 for calls and texts that were done totally over wifi. You need to sign up for and pay for an international travel plan through Verizon to avoid unexpected charges like this.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@bradgill wrote:

If you have only wifi on with everything else off, you will still be charged for call and texts even though you are not using Verizon data. I thought I would be okay only using wifi in South Korea and got billed for over $250 for calls and texts that were done totally over wifi. You need to sign up for and pay for an international travel plan through Verizon to avoid unexpected charges like this.

I know it’s very late to respond to this but Wi-Fi calling and texting will work as if you were still inside the USA.   So you may not be charged for roaming, but you will be charged for long distance.   
you also need to check and make sure that you’re in a country that permits Wi-Fi call and text.   There are several countries which do not permit it, China for example, does not permit Wi-Fi calling.  

0 Likes