$200 Wireless Rebate Scam due to Participating Location
4StarDad
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I ported 4 lines over from Sprint back in Sept. The promo code was SEPTSWITCH200 called "Switch to Verizon and get $200." Awesome. We signed up at Costco and the phones were mailed to us from Verizon. We activated them and ported the numbers. All in all, a great experience. The paperwork we got from Costco directed me to the Verizon rebate center, where I diligently entered all of the information required. Here are the eligibility requirements:

-----------------------------------------------

Eligibility Requirements:

Receive a $200 Prepaid Mastercard® when you port-in your number from any wireless carrier and activate a new smartphone (minimum retail price of $550) on device payment to a postpaid Verizon consumer account and activate on an eligible Verizon unlimited postpaid plan between 9.13.19 and 10.2.19. Customer must submit for redemption within 60 days of activation, and device must remain activated for 45 consecutive days. May not be combined with other promotional offers. We reserve the right to charge back the amount of the Prepaid Mastercard if service is canceled within 6 months. Your $200 Prepaid Mastercard will be mailed via the U.S. Postal Service within 8 weeks after receipt of claim to the billing address on file with Verizon Wireless. This card is issued by SUNRISE BANKS N.A., Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Mastercard International Incorporated. Mastercard is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated. Cards will not have cash access and can be used everywhere Mastercard debit cards are accepted.

-----------------------------------------------

You see anything in there about "Participating location"? Yeah, me neither. Today I received 4 emails telling me my rebate submissions are invalid because I didn't buy the phones from a "participating location." The eligibility requirements talk about activating a new smartphone on a device payment plan (we did) with an unlimited plan (we have). The terms don't actually say Anything about a "Purchase" or "Location".

I spent 45 minutes on hold waiting for someone in the rebate center to speak with me and they told me nothing more than what the rebate website says: "Costco isn't a participating location." I pointed out that location isn't mentioned anywhere in the eligibility requirements and she said that's all she knows. I'm now on hold with customer support.

This seems like a bait and switchand may be grounds for a class action lawsuit. Customer support is researching for me and expects to get back to me in 7-10 days. Anyone else run into these sorts of shenanigans?

Labels (1)
Re: $200 Wireless Rebate Scam due to Participating Location
mama23dogs
Legend

Is it possible this was an online only offer?   

0 Likes
4StarDad
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, it was offered to anyone activating a new line with an unlimited plan and switching from another carrier.

0 Likes
lakers2020

Hello! I'm dealing with the exact some issue, did you ever have an update? Did verizon respect the rebate?

0 Likes
frankandthelma

I have the exact same issue with 6 new phones moved from Tmobile to Verizon purchased at Costco.  That's $1,200 potentially gone for deceptive advertising.  My next steps are to file complaints with the Federal Communication Commission and the California DOJ.  Here is what California would consider this:

Deceptive trade practices are characterized by disinformation, false claims, and other tactics to lure the public into buying a product or service. 

This is how class action law suits get started. I hope Verizon is listening. 

This is not how you treat a new customer that just brought you 6 new line activations.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@frankandthelma wrote:

I have the exact same issue with 6 new phones moved from Tmobile to Verizon purchased at Costco.  That's $1,200 potentially gone for deceptive advertising.  My next steps are to file complaints with the Federal Communication Commission and the California DOJ.  Here is what California would consider this:

Deceptive trade practices are characterized by disinformation, false claims, and other tactics to lure the public into buying a product or service. 

This is how class action law suits get started. I hope Verizon is listening. 

This is not how you treat a new customer that just brought you 6 new line activations.

So you’ll be suing Costco?   After all it was Costco who apparently offered you a deal, that they were not a participant in. They should certainly know whether or not they were a participating location or not.   

0 Likes
Kdferris924
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have  the same issue and am so Frustrated. No where in there promotions does it say from participating locations. There was a sign at the store advertising it. This has to be illegal. 

0 Likes
aklankshah

Both Verizon and Costco are equally at fault.

When I filed for rebate, Verizon gave me all the information to file the rebate. They should have told me up front that this will not qualify and I would have returned all phones right there.

In all this, everyone takes sweet time to respond so opportunity to reverse the transaction is gone and you are at mercy of big corporations processing at slowest speed for it to happen , I think by design.

I have been after local Costco store to see where it goes. 

0 Likes
cgverizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue about the promised rebates. I have called several times, been put on hold, have had multiple transfers to the rebate department and being disconnected, escalated the issue multiple times, etc.

Today, after gathering energy and determination for a potentially long and frustrating call, I explained my situation and ended up getting disconnected 3 more times while the call was being transferred to the rebate department. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

The last rep I talked to wasn't even sure if the number she was transferring me to, was the proper number!!!! Really??? VZ is in the communication industry - are the reps not informed/trained???

Before I actually switched from being a 15+ years loyal AT&T customer I did my research; was reassured on multiple occasions by multiple VZ reps that I was indeed eligible for the rebates, and my decision to switch was partly based on getting these rebates. Never did I dream my VZ experience would be so incredibly frustrating. If I had known then what I know now, or had had access to the forums to read about the numerous complaints, I would never have switched. 

I am considering starting a class action lawsuit. This is just plain ridiculous.

0 Likes