4s Terrible Bluetooth Quality and Range (need help)
tomdc

I just received my new iPhone 4S and am experiencing problems with the bluetooth capabilities. I wear hearing aids and use a bluetooth device that talks to my aids that works exactly like any other handsfree. I've used the BT device for more than two years with my old Blackberry Storm with no problems whatsoever. Quality has been excellent and I frequently am alerted to and can answer a call from another floor from where the phone is sitting. Quality is not perfect from that distance, of course, but I could answer and then move closer. Point is that it worked.

I was able to easily pair the device with the iPhone. However when I call someone they immediately complain that I sound very garbled. I tried recording a new VM message using the bluetooth and it was almost unintelligible. I also find that if I move just a few feet from the phone, everything becomes garbled. I also noticed that if I'm in the kitchen and use the microwave, if I'm within a few feet of the microwave, the bluetooth is so filled with static that I can't hear anything. Keep in mind that none of this happened with the Blackberry. One day ago with the same BT device in the same house, everything worked great. Now it is basically unusable.

I absolutely have to have quality BT and will have to return this phone for another if I cannot solve this problem quickly. I posted a similar question in the Apple forum where there are loads of messages dating back to the introduction of the iPhone 4 complaining about exactly the same problems I'm having.

If anyone else has found a way to solve these problems, I would greatly appreciate your comments!

Thanks

Tom

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: 4s Terrible Bluetooth Quality and Range (need help)
dickday

I just posted a thread about this. You need to see if the devices yoyu are using are compatible with Bluetooth 4.0.  Most devices are not.

In my case, the devices would pair okay and work for a while and then would work intermittently or not at all.

hth

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

dickday wrote:

I just posted a thread about this. You need to see if the devices yoyu are using are compatible with Bluetooth 4.0.  Most devices are not.

In my case, the devices would pair okay and work for a while and then would work intermittently or not at all.

hth

Bluetooth is BACKWARDS compatible...

0 Likes
tomdc

Thanks, Tidbits, I was assuming it was backwards compatible. Otherwise a manufacturer would be nuts to go with 4.0. As I read references, 4.0 is designed more for low power (button batteries) remote sensor type devices anyway. I've seen cited applications like sports sensors and remote scientific sensors. My guess is that It will used to build BT into the hearing aid itself for people like me (the power requirements have been a barrier). But the remote headset type of devices I see, even new models, seem to be quoting 2.1 BT versions.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The 4S doesn't support all Bluetooth profiles. This goes for all devices. Sometimes a person just needs to factory reset their devices(the bluetooth device not the phone) as some of these devices only support x number of paired devices. My command one for example if I want to pair one of my old phones I have to factory reset it because it only supports 2 device credencials in memory.

0 Likes
nateinaz

When you say terrible quality it is the sound breaking up? choppy?  Are only the higher or lower frequencies being heard.

What happens when you play music?

I am trying to figure out why I only hear the high frequencies on my new RAZR when paired to my LG HBS-700 bluetooth 2.1+EDR.  Only the upper mid range and high frequecies are passed through and it sounds really soft.

0 Likes