5c Shutdown/Soft Reset is becoming a Daily Routine, and something is Eating my Battery!!!!
BigBlackDodge

I have a 9 month old, White 32gb 5c, I got the phone new, and until now, haven't had any problems to speak of.  But for the last 2 weeks I've noticed that my battery has had a very significant increase in consumption.  Even had to start recharging during the day at work, only to have it nearly dead again by bedtime.  Also during this time it has shut itself down 20-25 times while sitting idle.  When I press the Home button to wake it up, I get nothing.  The only way to bring it back is to do a Soft Reset (holding both the Power & Home buttons down until the Apple Logo appears).  The frequency of this shutdown/reset cycle has been ever increasing as the days progress.  Yesterday alone, between 6am - 10pm it happend 5 times.  Also during this time I've noticed that when I go to Settings - General - Usage:  There are only -'s showning for Usage & Standby.  There are no times showing, so I have no way of knowing if there is any variance between those 2 times.  Any and All Help will be Greatly Appreciated!!!!  And Thank You in Advance for your help! 

This is bringing back the Nightmares I dealt with from my previous phone, The HTC Thunderbolt!!!!  That phone alone, is what pushed me to the Apple Family!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: 5c Shutdown/Soft Reset is becoming a Daily Routine, and something is Eating my Battery!!!!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

BigBlackDodge

I'm sad to hear about all the trouble you're experiencing with your iPhone 5C! We definitely want to make sure you're back up and running right away. I appreciate all the effort you've taken to look into what's going on. I'd love to continue looking into this with you. When you charge your phone, are you using the charger that came with the device? What zip code are work and home in? What software verison is your phone running? You can check this and install any updates in Settings>General>Software Update. Have you been able to process a Hard Reset or a Restore through iTunes? http://vz.to/1gwHx71

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: 5c Shutdown/Soft Reset is becoming a Daily Routine, and something is Eating my Battery!!!!
BigBlackDodge

Hello Ruth, Good to hear from you!!! <br/>1. Yes Ma'am I'm using the charger that came with the phone. Now even during the day as it drains much quicker now. <br/>2. Zip code for Home is 30173<br/>3. Zip code for Work is 30161<br/>4. Software is up to date and running 7.1.2. <br/>5. I have not executed a Hard Reset because I am now having a difficult time Backing Up my phone to iTunes. My iTunes needs updating, but it keeps giving me error messages and then reverses back through it's progress. I have Manually Downloaded the Updates, but I am not sure how to Manually Install them. <br/>Thank You for your help. <br/>PJ[<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone | https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS]

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi BigBlackDodge,

Thanks for the details! Has there been any liquid or physical damage to this device? You may want to completely uninstall and reinstall iTunes to your computer. In order to install the updates on the device, you will need to use the latest version of iTunes. How many bars of signal are you averaging on this device while in both trouble locations? Is this issue only occuring while indoors?

Thanks,
PamelaF_VZW
Tweet us @vzwsupport

0 Likes
BigBlackDodge

Hi Pamela, no Ma'am, no liquid or physical damage at all.  I'm pretty easy on and careful with my expensive electronics.  It's been in a case since the day I bought it, removed only for cleanings.

I was successful in creating a backup through iTunes on my pc.  I have not erased and reset the phone yet though, I haven't had the nerve to! 

You asked about the signal strength, it has gone down during this time both indoors and out, but much more indoors.  I have always had 3to5 bars of 4G inside at home, 30173, but now the best I can get is 2of5 bars of 3G, but mostly just 1 bar of 3G, it even drops 3G completely pretty often now.  I can't even get more than 2bars of Wifi sitting right beside the Router/Modem!   Signal problems are very similar at work, 30161, where I'm always on the Network.  We bought 3 iPhone 5c's the day I got this one, 2 32gb, and 1 16gb.  The other two haven't experienced any of these issues yet.  They do spend much more time on wifi than I do, I don't have access to any during the day working.  Didn't know if that was info that would be helpful or not.  Thank you for your time with this, it's really getting very frustrating and way more frequent. 

A few other bits of info that may be useful here:

I noticed, after I created the backup, that it shut itself off and rebooted on it's own several times, with about 10 minutes in between, all while just sitting idle on the table in front of me.  When I plugged it in for the night it was on, and then like the last 12-14 mornings, it was off again when I awoke. 

I have noticed today, that it seems to do it less as the battery drains further.  And after a fresh charge, it will usually start doing it pretty soon, and will now do it atleast 3 consecutive times.

Also, I'm still not showing any numbers in the Usage and Standby sections, just dash's.

Please advice on what I need to do next.  I'm hoping that it's just a software issue here, but my gut feeling is that it's a manufacturing defect somewhere.  This thing is still under the replacement warranty by Apple, right?  I got it in November of 2013 I believe.

Thanks again Pamela

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for this information, BigBlackDodge. Seems like you've done the right things to help with the issue besides the hard reset to see if that can help. With the details of what was presented and you backing up your data, I would suggest the factory reset. Also, we have an item to help with indoor service that can be a challenging due to what the structure is made of because the signal can have a hard time reaching the device. Here's a link for information http://vz.to/IHRT6h.

Thank you!

EdW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
BigBlackDodge

I did a Hard Reset last night & a Restore. Everything's back up this morning. I haven't Synced my music yet, will do that later. We'll see how it does today. Wish me luck!!! And Thanks for the help everyone!!!!<br/>PJ[<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone | https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS]

0 Likes
BigBlackDodge

Barely made it past 24 hours. It's started again. What steps do I need to take to get a replacement phone under warranty?<br/>[<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone | https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS]

0 Likes
BigBlackDodge

Barely made it past 24 hours. It's started again. What steps do I need to take to get a replacement phone under warranty?<br/>[<br/><br/>Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone | https://overview.mail.yahoo.com?.src=iOS]

0 Likes
BigBlackDodge

I need some assistance on where to go next, please.  This phone is unacceptable.  It is still under Apple's warranty, and I need it replaced.  Thanks.

PJ

0 Likes