Absurd phone upgrade problem - can't buy new phone!
1Atom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade to a new iPhone on my Verizon line, and I feel like I'm in a surreal Black Mirror episode. Let me explain...

Two months ago, I ported my old iPhone over to Verizon, and picked up a sim card at a local Verizon store. Everything has been working fine, but my old iPhone is showing its age.

Two weeks ago, I tried to upgrade to a new iPhone. However, half way through the purchase process, I get an error message that there is already a purchase in process, and I can't order a new phone. After further investigation, it appears that the sim card I picked up 2 months ago is still marked as "waiting for pickup" on my Verizon account.

After 2 weeks of multiple calls with various Verizon support folks, I'm now stuck in a loop where no one, including activation support, is able to clear this sim card order. And even though I'm begging Verizon sales to take my money to buy a new phone, no one can complete the order due to the stuck sim card order.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to help? Is there a special phone number for back office IT support? Or is there a hack to get around this (while still keeping my same phone number)?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Absurd phone upgrade problem - can't buy new phone!
1Atom
Enthusiast - Level 1

An update on my issue: thankfully my account was unblocked, so I was able to order a new iPhone 14. However, the old sim order is still on my account, so hopefully that doesn't cause problems in the future.

One thing I learned that folks should watch out for - if you place an online order for a sim card and then pick it up at a Verizon store, make sure the sim card numbers match. The heart of my problem turned out to be the Verizon store giving me the wrong sim card...

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ApleofMyi
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you go to a corporate Verizon store and see if they can help you get this problem fixed? Just a suggestion. Not sure if you already did that or not. Another idea would be to contact or go to an Apple store as they do work with Verizon or so the Apple rep told me when I was looking at the new i-phone Pro 14. 

0 Likes
1Atom
Enthusiast - Level 1

An update on my issue: thankfully my account was unblocked, so I was able to order a new iPhone 14. However, the old sim order is still on my account, so hopefully that doesn't cause problems in the future.

One thing I learned that folks should watch out for - if you place an online order for a sim card and then pick it up at a Verizon store, make sure the sim card numbers match. The heart of my problem turned out to be the Verizon store giving me the wrong sim card...

0 Likes