Activating iPhone 5 to a different number on family plan
illyria26

Here's my situation: I am in a family share plan with my dad, and both of our lines were eligible to upgrade. However, my dad's line had a $30 new-every-two credit so I used that to buy an iPhone 5. Both of us currently have feature phones without data plans.

How do I activate the iPhone to my number once it arrives?

I'm aware that you can do a device switch online after activating the phone to the line originally ordered on, but I'm concerned about the plans.

Is it possible for my dad to not have a data plan after switching the iPhone over to my number?

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain the activation process so that my dad keeps his old plan without data.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Activating iPhone 5 to a different number on family plan
heyitsmejosh
Contributor - Level 2

if you stay on the nationwide plan, then you can just add  data to your plan $30 a month/2gb.. when you get the phone you can call verizon and tell them which line you want to activate it on

0 Likes
bryann9182

Thanks Josh, I will give this a try

0 Likes
rockkelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am doing the same thing. My son is eligible for an upgrade but he's only 8 yrs old so I am giving him my phone (HTC Rezound) and buying the iphone 5 on his account.

DO NOT ACTIVATE the iphone on your dads telephone number. I did the same thing this morning with my son's account and all the Verizon reps said it would be simple to switch to my number once I activate it on his line but I am having a very hard time. Verizon rep told me that I need to switch the sim cards put a pin in the little hole on the right side of the iphone and the sim would pop out.... WRONG  another VR told me that was for the4S not the 5,  then another rep told me the sim cards come in 3 different sizes and the new iphone sim is a Micro Sim and doesnt fit the Rezound. So  I called a Verizon Wireless store and they will not carry the sim card for a week or 2.  Next VR told me to go to the Apple store and have the apple reps replace the sim card,  next appointment is on Sunday at the Genius bar... URGH!!! the last rep told me there was a way where the set it up in the system where you do not have to first activiate the phone on the eligible account. They have a name for it but I cant remember now, something like borrow an upgrade, switch upgrades, etc

BaylorDude
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you order the iPhone 5 for yourself using another family members upgrade the VR can set up the sim card to activate on your line. The order will read

Eligible MDN: 888 (you son's #)

Activating MDN: 888 (your cell#)

They did that on one of the two iPhone 5's that came in today, however did not on the other so now I have to find a 4G sim card for the iPhone 5..yeah right NO ONE HAS THEM, so it's a paper weight now

Basically the iPhone 5 sim card is number specific and cannot be swapped, like a VIN #

BVRCHER

Similar yet slightly different scenario here. The president of our company wanted to use an upgrade that we have available on our business account to upgrade his personal device which is on his own personal plan. I spoke to a rep on the 14th who confirmed that this is possible and that all I needed to do was order the device using the line on the business account, and then call VZW customer service when we get it to activate his personal line on the new device.

Based on what I am reading, I am now concerned that the device (or SIM) may be locked to the number that was eligible for the upgrade on the business account.

0 Likes
wigitywak

I just got finished activating mine.  I too ordered the phone for 1 line, but needed it activated on a different line.  After reading the posts here and calling Verizon once and two Verizon stores, I thought I was going to be stuck waiting for a new SIM card.  I decided to try Verizon CS (800-922-0204) one more time.  I just used 0# to get to someone without selecting any options.  It's important to note that I had NOT turned on the iPhone 5 yet.  When I explained the situation, the agent that I spoke to said "no problem, I can activate it on whichever line you want" and then she set it up on her end for the correct line.  From that point on, all I had to do was just turn on the phone, do my iCloud restore, and wait for "LTE" to appear on the phone to verify that it was activated properly.  I really wish Verizon would train ALL of their employees, because chances are, most people will be told that it can't be done over the phone.  Good luck!

0 Likes
rockkelly
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just got a very knowledgeable VR on the line, Amber, and she told me that I should wait 24 hours and call her back.  She will switch the sim ID #'s. I'm hoping this will work.

0 Likes
djsan99

WIGITYWAK, I am going t be doing the same thing tonight. Did you have unlimited and were you able to keep it after the switch? That is the only issue I see running into tonight when I do the switch of phones to the correct lines. Also did you need a new SIM card?

0 Likes
bryann9182

That's great news. Hopefully it's that simple for me and the rest of us. Did you need the second phone on you during this process?

0 Likes