After nine years I am leaving Verizon after falling for "free" iPhone scam
morisky
Contributor - Level 1

On December 11, 2020 I received an offer for a "free" iPhone. I met all conditions of the offer; turned in old phone, set up auto pay, switched plan. Now the service techs tell me I will have to pay for the phone. At least they stopped telling me that it was just a paperwork issue. I am now resolved that as soon as my new SIM card comes from another carrier I am paying off the device and porting to a new carrier.

I contacted VerizonTelesales Solutions rep and he put a note in my customer file showing the original offer including the text of the original offer showing that they included a phone number to call (Verizon reps often lie and tell you that the customer did something wrong like call instead of click a link). The information about the return of my iPhone is also noted on my customer file. I have had two reps tell me everything I need to qualify for the offer is there. The last one told me that she has "never seen such a well-documented ticket, everything is there". The issue is that it is such an unusual retention offer that Verizon cannot find the code to enter into the system-so they keep charging me for a "free" phone. They have told me two that it will be fixed on the third billing cycle. Just got the bill for the third time since this started and there is a device charge. I was offered a free iPhone with 64 gb memory, I chose a 128 gb and should only have a device charge of around four dollars. Two reps at least understand everything, but they say an adjustment form has been filed, just wait five business days-well it has been ten since I heard that. Terrible way to treat a customer of nine years that is out of contract. 

0 Likes
Re: After nine years I am leaving Verizon after falling for "free" iPhone scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

morisky, this is far from the experience we want for you, and we would never want to lose your preference. We're so sorry to learn of your experience, and definitely don't want you to miss out on any promotion you had been qualified for. We'd love to take a closer look at your account. To better assist, we'll be sending a Private Note.

LauraF_VZW

0 Likes