Apple Upgrade Program and unlimited data
JimmyT77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hoping someone out there can help answer this question.  I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.  After reading about the Apple Upgrade Program, it appears that you should be able to use this program in order to purchase the new iPhone and retain your unlimited data since you're buying an unlocked phone.  I'm coming from an Android device if that makes any difference. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Apple Upgrade Program and unlimited data
BillC13

If you change your plan, you will lose your unlimited data plan. Once I change my plan, I was forced to leave the unlimited data plan. Supposedly that was not to happen. but it did. This was several years ago. I was very unhappy about it.

0 Likes
JimmyT77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wouldn't be doing anything to my plan.  I would buy the phone from Apple, take the SIM card out of my current phone and put it into the iPhone.  What am I missing here?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

As far as Verizon is concerned, the Apple program is like buying your own phone at full price. It will have no impact on the unlimited plan. If you have a phone with a nanosim, the easiest thing to do is just swap sims.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JimmyT77,

That is a great question. Being able to upgrade and keep your unlimited plan has never been easier. If you use Apple's Upgrade Program you will be able to keep your unlimited data plan with out penalty. This is due to the original purchase coming from Apple and not Verizon. Isn't that great! If you have any additional concerns or questions feel free to contact us directly. We are here to help.
JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JimmyT77
Enthusiast - Level 2

As it turns out, this answer is completely incorrect. I went the the Apple Store to pick up my new phone and it would not let me sign up for the upgrade program without choosing a new storage plan.  The Verizon rep at the store tried to make some ridiculous argument that the Apple program represents a discounted price and so you're not able to keep unlimited data.  How Verizon has anything to say about a third party transaction, I'll never know.  I do know that this is just another example of Verizon's Scumbag business practices. 

Dfitz13
Enthusiast - Level 1

Jimmy you're not alone, I too have grandfathered unlimited data from Verizon, and after reading the Verizon Wireless customer support answer earlier in the week, I felt confident that I would be able to buy my new iPhone under the Apple upgrade program yesterday with no such luck. The Apple salesperson I was dealing with said that as far as Verizon is concerned, they consider it an activation of a new phone...which would result in me losing my unlimited data. I agree with you, and third party deal/exchange/program shouldn't result in anything with Verizon. I laugh at Verizon's claim that it's a "discounted price", if you pay the $37.45 (64gb, iPhone 6s) for 24 months, you actually pay $20.80 more than just buying it outright.

Benjim4n
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same thing happen to me! I checked the week before on Apple's website about my "upgrade" eligibility, and that had me concerned... But the VZW employee comment above gave me hope. But to no avail, my account was deemed "ineligible" after we went through the whole application process for the Apple Upgrade Program. I understand Verizon not wanting to let me upgrade through them without changing plans, and I appreciate that they haven't set slow-down caps on our grandfathered data; but not letting us take advantage of a third party upgrade program is just ridiculous.

0 Likes
Millie77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wish ive known about The 3rd party upgrade Back when I upgraded.... Don't get me wrong I like Verizon but things are getting fishy with the data usage they are claming you are using more and more when you are really not

0 Likes