Bought an i-phone for student studying abroad -- ended up by getting double billed!
SanJose5

Been a Verizon customer for over 18 years!  Our child is conducting research abroad so we purchased an i-phone 4S.  Verizon billed us and her for each call -- total of $1300 in two weeks! This is rediculus especially since the saleswoman at the Verizon store did not inform us of ANY of these charges!  Verizon needs to be fined by the FTC for double billing.

We should have stayed with a simple phone and AT&T!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bought an i-phone for student studying abroad -- ended up by getting double billed!
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

and you would hav ebeen charged

did you tell vzw it was for use in other countries?

did you get a plan?

even then its expensive

you can go here to view the rates for various countries

http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/index.html

best option really is get a phone from there and a sim card from there

0 Likes
Re: Bought an i-phone for student studying abroad -- ended up by getting double billed!
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

Did she not turn off her wireless data connection? If you don't add an international data plan, it's $20.48/MB! I typically don't purchase the international data plan, but I do turn off mobile data when leaving the U.S. This allows calls and texts to come through, but no data except over Wi-Fi.

An even better option, as mdram4x4 said, is using a phone with a local SIM card, so you get local call and text rates.

If you kindly explain the situation to customer service, a rep *may* remove some of those charges for you. Good luck!

0 Likes
SanJose5

Of course we did. The customer rep even offered suggestions to keep the data plan low, which ironically she has.

No one ever mentioned the roaming charges!

Still burning. Getting a local phone is priority 1.

0 Likes