Brand new iPhone 6 - unknown email showing for iTunes sign in
ChristinaO

I just bought a new iPhone 6 from a Verizon store and they helped me set it all up. I had to sign into my Apple ID password a couple of times for them. Then I brought it home and went to download all my apps like they showed me to do. And my phone asks me to enter the Apple ID password for  "(removed)". I have no idea whose email that is. Since it isn't mine, obviously I can't sign in to the iTunes store. I searched online and other people have had this problem going back to 2010 as far as I can tell. But there are no answers on how to get rid of the unidentified email. Naturally, it has me a little freaked out. I'm ready to just go back to my old 5s.

>> Edited to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Brand new iPhone 6 - unknown email showing for iTunes sign in
Weth
Legend

Can you go to settings/iTunes &App Store, then click on AppleID, then click sign out.   After that, sign in with your AppleID.

0 Likes
ChristinaO

Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested, however it didn't work. Once I'm done signing in, I go back to my App Store app, click on it, go to my updates, then to purchased and click on "Update". Then a box comes up that still says, "Sign In to iTunes Store" Enter the Apple ID password for "(removed)". I have no idea who that is or where the email is from. Any other ideas?

>> Edited by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I don't know what to do to take care of that but maybe try contacting Apple support to see if they could help.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I would wipe the phone completly and start over.  either back to Verizon, or if you have one close by, Apple Store is even better if you need help wiping and starting over.  That unknown email would freak me too, so I would just start from factory default. 

0 Likes
ChristinaO

Thanks Kaebfly - I have tried that and so far no response from Apple.

0 Likes
ChristinaO

Weth, Thanks for your ideas! Fortunately, the Verizon store and the Apple store are close together. I'm thinking I agree with you on the Apple store preference. Sounds like a Sunday trip is the best idea to get it looked at.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

ChristinaO wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested, however it didn't work. Once I'm done signing in, I go back to my App Store app, click on it, go to my updates, then to purchased and click on "Update". Then a box comes up that still says, "Sign In to iTunes Store" Enter the Apple ID password for "(removed)". I have no idea who that is or where the email is from. Any other ideas?

The phone must have been used as a demo or something.  A new phone would not have anyone's Apple ID but yours.  Since one of the first things to set up the iphone is entering the Apple ID, I am puzzled as to why anyone else's is on your phone.

You a should not have "update" requests from another Apple ID.  It means someone else has downloaded their purchases onto the Phone.  ( applications are forever associated with the Apple ID used to purchase the app. )

The only way to remove the apps is to reset the phone to factory and set up again as new.

since you were able to sign out the other Apple ID and enter yours, you just need to reset all settings and content.

IF you can't reset the phone because of "Find My iPhone". Then you must return the phone as it is registered to someone else's icloud account.

>> Edited by Verizon Moderator to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service <<

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Just curious...when the person in the Verizon store help you set up your phone do you think it's possible they used their Apple ID at any time? They aren't supposed to sell a returned phone as new so I'm a little concerned that if it wasn't the rep they gave you a returned phone. That doesn't mean anything is wrong with it but I would still want them to give me a new one. I would also believe that calling Apple Support (not email) or visiting an Apple Store should be able to tell you if that device was ever associated with someone else's Apple ID. Hope you get this figured out soon.

mama23dogs
Legend

Agreed...  Seems weird to me too.   I wondered if OP didn't have an iTunes account yet, so the employee used theirs to help her set it up, then didn't remove it.  ???   Not too smart.  It is just as quick to set up with the OPs own email address and open an iTunes account for her.   (if they really wanted to be helpful).

Unless "find my iPhone" is turned on, the phone can be reset to factory and set up properly with OPs own Apple ID.

MY curiosity has kicked in and I want to know how this happened.....

0 Likes