Can I switch numbers to give iphone 4 to family member so I can use iphone 5?
mqssteve

I want to give my iphone 5 to family member who has Verizon with her spouse. She has an existing iphone 4 she wants to give to her spouse who has older phone (also on Verizon plan with her) and then she will activate the iphone 5 as her new primary phone.  I went to Verizon retail store in Houston a few days ago and the iphone 5 had to be unlocked by AT&T which has not been done.  However, the sales representative said Verizon will not allow the transfer of the perfectly good working phone to her husband as Verizon no longer supports the iphone 4.  Her option, she was told was to throw the iphone 4 away or donate it.  Seems crazy.  Is this really true.  I suppose she could swap phone numbers with her husband an let him upgrade to the iphone 5 but really that seems extreme.  Any thoughts or suggestions before we venture back to the Verizon retail store for assistance on the iphone 5 upgrade.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switching numbers to give iphone 4 to family member so I can use iphone 5
Weth
Legend

2 items:

1) Unfortunately the AT&T iPhone 5 (model number A1428) does not have CDMA radio and is not compatible with Verizon. It cannot be activated on Verizon. Verizon needed iPhone model number A1429. It is not a matter of being unlocked by AT&T. It just will not work. 

2) The iPhone 4 is still compatible and usable on the Verizon system, the information you received is not correct. This phone can be switched or activated on-line with My Verizon without having a sales rep get involved. Verizon is planning on shutting off the CDMA network by the end of 2019. When that happens, the iPhone 4 will be obsolete and no longer usable.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

2 items:

1) Unfortunately the AT&T iPhone 5 (model number A1428) does not have CDMA radio and is not compatible with Verizon. It cannot be activated on Verizon. Verizon needed iPhone model number A1429. It is not a matter of being unlocked by AT&T. It just will not work. 

2) The iPhone 4 is still compatible and usable on the Verizon system, the information you received is not correct. This phone can be switched or activated on-line with My Verizon without having a sales rep get involved. Verizon is planning on shutting off the CDMA network by the end of 2019. When that happens, the iPhone 4 will be obsolete and no longer usable.

kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Like Weth said, you were given false info about the iPhone 4 not being usable. My youngest son is using an iPhone 4 on Verizon with no issues. In the future it and any other 3G device won't work but for now it's fine.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

How does that make sense?  the iPhone 4 works on her line, of course it will work on her husbands line.  At least for a couple of years.

0 Likes