Can I use a 4G LTE VZW SIM in an iPad 2nd generation that originally came with a 3G SIM?
jag3droid

Hi, I'm giving an old iPad 2 (circa 2010) currently with a 3G Verizon Wireless SIM in it to someone else. I want to disassociate my information from that cellular account.  I'm told I can either call VZW Prepaid support and have them scrub the personal info from the account (retaining the existing phone number) or else put in a new SIM.  The new SIM that the Apple Store gave me for that old iPad is the right size (micro, not nano) but it is a 4G LTE SIM--the original SIM was 3G.  Will a VZW 4G LTE SIM work in that old iPad?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does anybody know whether I can use a 4G LTE VZW SIM in an iPad 2nd generation (which originally came with a 3G SIM)?
Weth
Legend

VErizon iPad 2 is 3G only, which is CDMA only and does not use a SIM card.  It would be activated online like an older 3G phone with no SIM card.  I do not think the Verizon iPad 2 even had a SIM slot?

Question: Does the iPad Have a SIM Card?

Answer:

The iPad 3 model with cellular data, iPad 2 3G on AT&T and the 3G model of the original iPad use micro-SIM cards. The Verizon version of the iPad 2 3G does not have a SIM card, and no Wi-Fi models have a SIM card.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Does anybody know whether I can use a 4G LTE VZW SIM in an iPad 2nd generation (which originally came with a 3G SIM)?
Weth
Legend

VErizon iPad 2 is 3G only, which is CDMA only and does not use a SIM card.  It would be activated online like an older 3G phone with no SIM card.  I do not think the Verizon iPad 2 even had a SIM slot?

Question: Does the iPad Have a SIM Card?

Answer:

The iPad 3 model with cellular data, iPad 2 3G on AT&T and the 3G model of the original iPad use micro-SIM cards. The Verizon version of the iPad 2 3G does not have a SIM card, and no Wi-Fi models have a SIM card.

0 Likes