Can't make or receive calls or texts until phone is restarted.
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had an iPhone 6 plus for about a week. Three separate times I've discovered I can't make calls. I dial a number and the call immediately ends -- it doesn't ring or anything. If someone calls me it immediately goes to voice mail. If I restart the phone I get all the texts that people sent me while my phone wasn't working and I can make and receive calls again. A day or two later it stops working again and I have to restart it. Is this an issue with my iPhone or Verizon?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't make or receive calls or texts until phone is restarted.
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

In case someone else runs into this problem, and they have already tried replacing the SIM card and re-installing the operating system through iTunes:

It was a hardware problem. My phone was switched out for a new one and everything is working fine now.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

n4all,

Help has arrived! Let's take a closer look to see what's going on. Is the Do not Disturb mode disabled? What zip code are you experiencing these issues in? How many bars of service does your device display?

EfrainM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do not disturb mode is disabled. Zip code is 91020, and the phone has two bars. There are two other iphone 6 pluses bought at the same time that are not having these problems.

0 Likes
tbo27
Master - Level 2

Eject the Sim card for a minute carefully and then power back up. Also soft reset it

0 Likes
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did what tbo27 suggested but this morning it could not make calls again.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

n4all,

I want to resolve this for you today.  I will send you a private message to better assist.

YareliM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon hasn't responded to my PMs so I'm posting more here.

My phone wasn't working again this afternoon so I did some testing.

Tried to call out at 1:22 pm and the call immediately ended.

Tried to receive a call from another verizon cell phone at 1:23 pm and it immediately went to voicemail.

Tried to receive a call from a landline at 1:28 pm and it immediately went to voicemail.

Tried to receive a text message sent at 1:31 pm and it didn't arrive.

Tried to send a text message at 1:32 pm and it immediately failed.

I noticed that when I went to Settings > Phone next to "My Number" it said "Unknown".

I tried putting it in Airplane mode, waiting a minute, and then taking it back out of airplane mode but nothing changed.

It said LTE up at the top but the phone would not let me use data.

After restarting the phone at about 1:45 pm I received the text message that was sent to it during testing. I also received two voicemails that I had missed while the phone was not working. One has the time stamp of 11:55 am and the other 12:25 pm.

0 Likes
n4all
Enthusiast - Level 2

In case someone else runs into this problem, and they have already tried replacing the SIM card and re-installing the operating system through iTunes:

It was a hardware problem. My phone was switched out for a new one and everything is working fine now.