Connection almost as slow as dialup
terrylkidd

I recently started having trouble with the personal hotspot on my IPhone 6. Download speeds reported by speedtest was .017 MB. That's crap. I am on the unlimited and I know about the throttling. I am nowhere close to 15GB. Your service is not cheap and I expect you to live up to your end of our contract just as I have lived up to my end. I know it isn't the local service because I have a hotspot from my employer and download speeds are 61BM and upload is 22MB. I have everything on my phone that could use data turned off. I have to believe that Verizon is playing dirty pool.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Connection almost as slow as dialup
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

terrylkidd, We understand the need for speed; we're here to help. When did you notice the reduced data speeds? What's your zip code?

Trinette_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
terrylkidd

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 7:22 PM vzw_customer_support <

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which plan do you have?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
terrylkidd

Go Unlimited plan.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Go Unlimited Plan has a speed restriction on the hotspot feature to a maximum of 600 kbps. The employer plan likely is a different plan without such restriction.

Go Unlimited FAQs | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
terrylkidd

I realize that but .017 MBs is nowhere close to 600 KBs. That’s actually

less than dialup.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually 0.17 MBs (megabytes per second) is equal to 1360 kbps (kilobits per second). That's more than 600 kbps.

Were you really referring to 0.17 Mbps (megabits per second) which is 170 kbps?

Use the correct terms, please.

0 Likes
terrylkidd

No. .017MBs

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

terrylkidd, we want you to be able to enjoy the use of the personal hotspot on your device. As Ann154 mentioned, the Go Unlimited personal hotspot is always limited to a maximum of 600Kbps. This would explain why you're experiencing the slower speeds on the hotspot. The speeds you achieve on the hotspot can also be affected by network traffic in the area, but we are not seeing any active issues near you. The personal hotspot on Go Unlimited isn't the optimal solution for data intense activities, rather it's best for occasional use on lighter functions like web browsing or checking email. If the hotspot is something you rely on, you do have the option to move to the Beyond(15GB LTE hotspot) or Above(20GB LTE hotspot) Unlimited plans. The following links will provide more information on the plan options:

Above Unlimited

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/above-unlimited-faqs/

Beyond Unlimited 

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/unlimited/beyond-unlimited/

Shawnte_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes