Contact Names Not Displaying
Phken
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an iPhone 5 running iOS 9.2 and about 50% of the time when I receive phone call or text, it displays the phone number and not the name of my contact, even though that person is and their phone number are saved in my Contacts.  So the phone is only associating the name of my contact with their phone number about half the time This seems to have started about 4-6 months ago. Is this a known bug that can be corrected?

Ken

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Contact Names Not Displaying
deloused
Master - Level 3

Hmm, those are common setting issues that could affect caller ID. You're right, factory data reset should be the last resort. What zip code are you in when you've had the problem?

3 more things- is your dial assist off (it should be) under settings-> phone-> dial assist.

Try signing out of iCloud and then back in, in case it's a syncing/retrieval glitch- App Store-> featured-> click on your Apple ID-> sign out. Turn the phone off then on, and resign back in to your Apple ID in the store.

Retest the issue, and if that doesn't fix it the one other thing to try before a factory data reset would be to 'reset all settings' under settings-> general-> reset. This won't cause you to lose and data, apps, files or anything, but you'd need to re-adjust other phone settings back to the way you like, such as your wallpaper/background etc. After the settings reset to a soft reboot by pressing and holding the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds (until the phone begins to power down), and turn it back on.

If it still doesn't work then the factory data reset would be necessary.

View solution in original post

Not applicable

There might be a possibility that it is as per Design. If the device is locked, and encryption is ON, no caller ID Name will be displayed for incoming call but If you try to disable Encryption then both caller ID number and name will be displayed. all you need to do is go to settings Options > Security > Encryption and unchecking "contacts" resolved might resolve the issue. if it is still not working , you can call Verizon customer service 888-294-6804 or apple customer service 800-275-2273.

0 Likes
Phken
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the suggestion, I'd like to try it, but there seems to be no pathway that leads to Encryption. When I go to Settings, there is no section called "Options" or "Security". I've searched on the word "Encryption", but the only match is in the VPN section. Do you have another way to get to Encryption settings?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You’ve come to the right place for help Phken. I can certainly understand the  importance of having your caller ID displaying your contacts correctly. Are the contact name not showing up with certain numbers only or is it random? If you go to Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar and go to “Contacts found in Mail”, is it enabled or disabled?

JohnB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Phken
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks JohnB - I see no pattern to which contact names are displayed or not. It will even display the same name certain times and not display it others.  "Contacts found in Mail" is enabled (green). I'm assuming that is the proper setting if I want contact names to be displayed.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to ensure we get this all resolved for you. Are you able to factory reset the device? Before doing so, we want to ensure all your information and memories are saved. This can be done by syncing everything currently on your device with the cloud. Let us know if this helps.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Did the issue arise after a software update or settings change? Under settings & mail, contacts, calendars are your contacts set to sync to iCloud? If you pull up a contact that you've had the issue with is the phone number stored as 10 digits only like (212) 555-1212, with no other numbers or symbols before or after? If you scroll down to the bottom of your contact list past the alphabet letters to the '#' are there any numbers stored there without names?

0 Likes
Phken
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would rather try other approaches first before doing a factory reset. But just in case, can you point me to a link that takes me through the process of a factory reset?

0 Likes
Phken
Enthusiast - Level 1

Deloused - My answers to your questions below:

Did the issue arise after a software update or settings change? It may have started after an update, but I can't say for sure.

Under settings & mail, contacts, calendars are your contacts set to sync to iCloud? Yes, iCloud backup is On.

If you pull up a contact that you've had the issue with is the phone number stored as 10 digits only like (212) 555-1212, with no other numbers or symbols before or after? Yes - 10 digits, no other numbers or symbols

If you scroll down to the bottom of your contact list past the alphabet letters to the '#' are there any numbers stored there without names? No

This is issue is still a problem for me.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Hmm, those are common setting issues that could affect caller ID. You're right, factory data reset should be the last resort. What zip code are you in when you've had the problem?

3 more things- is your dial assist off (it should be) under settings-> phone-> dial assist.

Try signing out of iCloud and then back in, in case it's a syncing/retrieval glitch- App Store-> featured-> click on your Apple ID-> sign out. Turn the phone off then on, and resign back in to your Apple ID in the store.

Retest the issue, and if that doesn't fix it the one other thing to try before a factory data reset would be to 'reset all settings' under settings-> general-> reset. This won't cause you to lose and data, apps, files or anything, but you'd need to re-adjust other phone settings back to the way you like, such as your wallpaper/background etc. After the settings reset to a soft reboot by pressing and holding the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds (until the phone begins to power down), and turn it back on.

If it still doesn't work then the factory data reset would be necessary.