Corporate Verizon Wireless Sold Me a Refurbished iPhone as New
LMS4004

PLEASE READ!!  If you think this only happens at 3rd party retailers you are WRONG! I bought my iPhone 6 (supposedly) Brand New from this Corporate Verizon Wireless location at 6220 Baltimore National Pike  Catonsville, MD 21228. I paid the brand new price which at the time was around $600 or $700.

Well fast forward 2 years later I take it into the Apple Store because it has been sluggish and started freezing temporarily as well. The Apple tech did all the diagnostics several times & my battery was fine, he also asked me if I had ever had my screen replaced, I respond No. Fast Forward they take my iPhone in the back and open it up and it has a 3rd party screen installed, my screws on the inside of the iPhone are rusted (which is common if you replace your iPhone screen with a non-authentic Apple screen as it allows moisture and air to get into the iPhone over time and eventually slows the iPhone down.

So, naturally I was furious I went back to the same Verizon store I purchased it from and asked for an explanation. They looked at me like I was crazy and told me to go back to Apple and speak with a Manager. I went back, to Apple the same day and spoke with a manager and even had them open my iPhone again by a different technician, but the end result was the same. I had a 3rd party screen! The manager at Apple gave me his card to give to the manager at Verizon if he had any questions. So I went back to the Verizon store (I still get the crazy looks) and they say, "If we sold you a brand new iPhone how can there be a 3rd party screen inside unless you replaced it?" I have never replaced my screen and never had a reason to. The screen has never been cracked. They just looked at me like they were confused and I tell them obviously the phone you sold me was not a brand new phone if it has a 3rd party screen and I have never replaced the screen.

LESSON LEARNED:

1 - DO NOT BUY NEW PHONES FROM VERIZON

2 - IF YOU DO BUY A (SUPPOSEDLY) NEW iPHONE FROM A CORPORATE VERIZON WIRELESS STORE TAKE IT TO APPLE SO THEY CAN CHECK IT OUT

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Corporate Verizon Wireless Sold Me a Refurbished iPhone as New
deloused
Master - Level 3

Even with the retail, inventory and return processes making such an occurrence a rarity, it is possible for a used device to be sold as new. Given the explanation provided to you by the Apple Store as well as the many other customer reports (some in the links below) from users stating that ‘new’ iPhones that they had purchased from several different retailers including Apple directly, Verizon, At&t, T-Mobile & Sams Club Apple Stores had also been told by an Apple Store that their device had a third party screen installed in it even though they had never had a replacement put in it just like yours.

The only ways to verify if the screen part installed is a genuine Apple part would be by viewing the Apple QR label on the back of the internal LCD, as well as the Apple logos on the 2 flex cable connectors inside. Rusty screws are definitely an indication of moisture exposure due to liquid/humidity, even over time which can enter from any of the outer crevices (mic/speaker/port/sim slot). This does happen to devices with the original screen intact also, so rust does not indicate a screen change had taken place. It is pretty common wear and tear with devices.

Third party screen parts themselves wont allow any additional moisture/air issues since aftermarket LCD screens are actually the same exact size as the Apple OEM parts, they have to be in order to fit correctly in the casing and use all original screws. However, If a new screen (whether Apple or Third Party) is not installed correctly causing a gap due to cable placement or if the the screws were not tightened to the proper level that could cause more moisture/debris to be able to get in though. Although if that was the case you would have also experienced screen functionality issues, like touch screen accuracy if they were screwed too tight, or blanking, lines or dead areas if they were too loose. 

Given the reason they diagnosed that you have an aftermarket screen installed (rust) affects even original Apple screens it does seem most likely that it’s a misdiagnosis, particularly given the multiple iPhone customers reporting the same issue, regardless of place of purchase. It seems mostly due to employee knowledge/training, the age of the model 6, compared to the newer generation parts used for the screen and seal. They may not be totally familiar with the 6 anymore, or may not have even worked there back when they were released over 3 years ago, are more used to the components of the phones that are still within the warranty period that they deal with most often and want to provide some sort of reason.

Secondarily, perhaps the problem may be related to an issue in manufacturing at the factory in China. Given the media reports of poor treatment of workers, riots and employee suicide at that plant I wouldn’t be shocked to hear that some aftermarket parts had been installed to falsely inflate revienue/production numbers. Since the phones are boxed up and shipped to retailers after the manufacture/testing is complete, and they should remain sealed until the plastic is broke when the customer is ready to activate the device after purchasing few would notice if an aftermarket screen was used since checking the labeling on the LCD by opening up the phone would be the only way to verify that.

While not relevant due to coverage expiration, Apple does still provide regular equipment warranty & AppleCare options even on a phone that has a third party screen replacement installed, A couple ways to actually determine if your iPhone is in fact refurbished would be to ask Verizon for the history of your phone’s serial number. They can see if it had ever been active on another phone number/account prior to yours. Apple can also check your serial number in their warranty coverage system to verify when your warranty expired. The manufacturer warranty should have expired one year from your purchase date. If your iPhone was used previously they would report a year from its original activation date from the original purchase if someone else had it before you.

How do you tell a genuine iPhone 6 screen? |Official Apple Support Communities

Apple claims I have third party parts (I don't) | MacRumors Forums

Advice - Apple claim iPhone 5 has 3rd party scr... |Official Apple Support Communities

0 Likes
LMS4004

@deloused  I took it to the Apple store twice. It was definitely a 3rd party screen. They opened my phone and looked at the screen on the inside. It had no serial number. Authentic Apple screens have a serial number  on them on the inside.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Ok so now it's definitely clear that the Apple store employees are completely full of it if they told you that. There are no serial numbers on iPhone screen parts. Here's a link listing the specifics of the screens, along with photos and a video so you can see for yourself.

https://www.etradesupply.com/blog/5-tips-to-tell-oem-and-copy-lcd-of-iphone-6/

0 Likes
LMS4004

@deloused  Apple does not authorize its suppliers to sell parts. I know some screens are labeled as "OEM" but in fact these OEM screens are nothing but a high quality copy of the original Apple screen, that have very similar or close enough product specifications to the original.  When I was in the Apple Store (for the second time) the manager came and spoke to me after getting a different tech to open my iPhone and inspect it. He showed me 2 pictures for comparison on his iPad. One pic was the inside of my screen and the other was the inside of a genuine iPhone screen. The manager had the differences between the 2 screens circled on the iPad in red. There were also notes about the differences on the side. My screen was not a genuine Apple screen. I checked thoroughly.

0 Likes
LMS4004

deloused​  Also I should mention I asked the Apple manager if he sees alot of people like me, people that thought they purchased a new iPhone  but when they bring it to the Apple store they find 3rd party parts or find out it is not new. He said it happens alot with retailers (like Best Buy and other stores ), but not as often with corporate stores (like Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Sprint, & AT&T), BUT it does still happen with the corporate retailers and he said it happens with ALL OF THEM. Just so everyone knows the Corporate Verizon Wireless stores are not the only ones doing this.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That's also incorrect, below is the link directly on Apple's website showing that they do authorize other suppliers to sell, service and support their products. Also when selecting the option on Apple's website there for iPhone screen repair under the 'Service and Support' section it will offer a list names of all local authorized suppliers that Apple has approved to provide the services.

https://locate.apple.com/

0 Likes
LMS4004

deloused​  You obviously misunderstood me. Apple does not allow their SUPPLIERS (MANUFACTURERS, the companies that actually make Apple's parts) to sell their parts.  The link you gave lists Apple stores and  Apple Authorized Service Providers, (these are NOT THEIR SUPPLIERS). They are service providers. Neither Apple or any of their authorized service providers  make or "supply" Apple's parts. That is the manufacturer's (Supplier's) job.

0 Likes
rwhitmore58

I was having problems with battery staying charged.  I just took my iphone in to Apple and was also told that I had a third party screen.  I was asked if I had ever had it replaced.  I said no, that I purchased the phone "new" from Verizon.  Basically, I am in the same boat as it appears Verizon sold me a phone that was not NEW as it has a third paty screen installed on it.  I am furious with Verizon wondering why we paid for two years under our contract for a "NEW" phone when actually it appears it was a refurbished phone of some type.  HOW can Verizon sell phones as "NEW" when apparently they are not.  SO FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU WERE TOLD IT WAS A BRAND NEW IPHONE WHEN IN ESSENCE IT WAS NOT!  We have been with Verizon for years, but will reevaluate that decision before renewing again!

0 Likes
Aargh92078

I just learned the Samsung Galaxy S6 I bought new three years ago is refurbished. 

I had to replace the battery.  When the store opened it, there were multiple signs of it being refurbished. 

I don't mind buying refurbished, i dont like paying new prices for used.

BTW, this is no a fluke.  My Wife bought the same phone at the same time as new and it also has signs of being refurbished.

To make it worse, we bought it from a friend who works at  Verizon corporate store.  When we brought it to his attention, he took it as accusatory and will no longer talk to us.  It's not his fault corporate Verizon is shipping regurbished phones as new.

0 Likes