Data Usage
brucejul

10 days ago I got a "free" tablet.  The rep at the store turned cellular data off because I told him I would only be using tablet at home on wifi.  Imagine my surprise when I rec'd a text message later that night telling me I was over my data!!  My son and I have shared data for 2 years and never gone over as the majority of use is on wifi.  The tablet had used 1\3 of the data while we were still in the store!!!  I call customer service, they act like I'm crazy and tell me to go back to store.  The store acts like I'm crazy, but does up my data to 4 to offset the crazy usage.  I then continue to ck the data usage on myverizon for 5 days and see no activity so i think all is well.  Last night i get a text saying i'm over again!!!!!  The usage started up 10/5!  I HAVE NOT TURNED THE CELLULAR DATA ON SINCE I PURCHASED THIS DEVICE SO EXPLAIN TO ME HOW IT IS USING DATA!!  I removed the SIM card this a.m.  I am disgusted that I have been a customer for 20 years and my "free" device is now costing me in data usage which should never have happened!!!!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Data Usage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is not the wireless experience that we want you to have brucejul! Let's partner together and get this resolved once and for all! May I ask what type of tablet do you have? Once we know the model then we can check the setting for you on the device.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
brucejul

I have the verizon ellipsis. I took out the SIM card because I have not changed the settings since I left the verizon store and it was using data

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
brucejul

I cannot understand how this device used data when the cellular data was turned off before I even left the store!  The rep could not figure it out either...my checkout receipt on the 25th was at 2:50.  I signed, he packaged everything up, and then him and my husband chatted about the restaurant we had recently opened.  We left the store at about 3:15, yet I had data usage at 3:00!!!  The customer service rep thought I was crazy when I called the next morning, he had me turn off wifi and try to access the internet...I couldn't because data was indeed turned off!Took it back to store on his suggestion.  They confirmed  the data was indeed turned off.  Chalked it up to a weird fluke, gave me free extra data to finish out my cycle.  For the next 5 days, I ck'd my account everyday to make sure it wasn't using data.  Then I get a text on the 7th telling me I'm OVER my data!!  This tablet hasn't left my house and the settings have not been changed! I was going to return tablet and son suggested taking SIM card out.  I don't know why one was ever in....I told both reps I only wanted tablet to watch netflix and surf web in the house.....i have an iphone to travel with, i'm not carrying a tablet around.   I want the extra data usage credited.  It should not have ever used any data according to both reps I talked to!  Rip off!!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I'm curious why you even chose to accept a cellular tablet. While the purchase price MAY have been "free" there IS a contract obligation to getting that "free" tablet which would cost MORE in the long run than simply purchasing a wifi only tablet.

If you DON'T want cellular on a tablet, don't get a cellular tablet. It is THAT simple. I have 1 cellular tablet. I also have 2 wifi only tablets. Guess what, NOTHING Verizon does will EVER get data charged to those 2 wifi only tablets.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep a cellular tablet even "free" will cost $10 a per month forever. And a wi-fi only tablet can always connect to a smartphone used as a hotpsot if you need to use a cellular connection. Verizon would have to throw in at least a couple of GB a month before I'd purchase a cellular tablet. And maybe not even then.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the reply brucejul. We want to do a deep dive on this issue for you. May I ask do you have any 3rd party apps downloaded on your device? If so then can you check to see if the apps are setup to auto-update when an update is available? Also, do you have the device in Airplane Mode? This is a great way to use the device on wifi while ensuring that the tablet is not connected to the data network. I would suggest doing this over the nest 2 - 3 days and check the data usage status. If you can keep us posted then that would be great.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes