Data usage problem
gypsywind

Ever since downloading the carrier update my data usage is running amok. We usually use 5-6 gigs per month, and in less than a week since the update we've used 2gb. Also, the My Verizon app is NOT showing up to date data usage. Since the carrier update it's only showing current data usage twice per day.

Disappointing

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Data usage problem
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Does the 2 GB in the past week include the update? How many phones did an update? Were they connected to Wi-Fi? With the new update it could be that other apps are also now updating. Turn off your cellular network while connected to Wi-Fi; that way it doesn't pick it up if your Wi-Fi drops out for a second. It sounds like you caught it early, before your next billing cycle so that's good so you can take precautions to prevent overage.

If you're referring to the Verizon data usage app/widget, it stopped updating it's self a long time ago; months to even a year. I think people complained that it was using data to keep it's self refreshing every X amount of minutes. Now you have to physically select the app and wait for it to update. Even then it's not going to be exact; the data you used 5 seconds ago might not show up as usage for many hours.

0 Likes
Re: Data usage problem
gypsywind

Hello

The biggest data surge took place on the first day of the new billing cycle when I clicked on update the carrier settings link appearing on my phone. Our second line updated until two days later when the message appeared on her phone. The surge which took place on the first day of the billing cycle was approximately 1.5 gb. How large was the update?

With regard to the My Verizon app installed on my phone, prior to the carrier settings update, it was updating data usage quite regularly throughout the day. After the carrier update, not so much. As I mentioned, I now only see differences in data usage once or twice per day.

I think from now on I will be using our local library's wifi to update the phone, even though I also had a problem there last year when I updated a phone to the inaugural ios8 download using my laptop connected to wifi with cellular off, connected to the laptop.

Is it possible for Verizon to make their subscribers aware how large a carrier update will be in a notification? It seems like the right thing to do to me. Gives the subsciber options for how to accomodate a download.

thanks

To: a b <gypsywind17@yahoo.com>

Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 1:17 PM

Subject: - Data usage problem

#yiv4026134396 img

|

|

|

A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

|

| |

Data usage problem

created by MiiHere in iPhone 5s - View the full discussionDoes the 2 GB in the past week include the update? How many phones did an update? Were they connected to Wi-Fi? With the new update it could be that other apps are also now updating. Turn off your cellular network while connected to Wi-Fi; that way it doesn't pick it up if your Wi-Fi drops out for a second. It sounds like you caught it early, before your next billing cycle so that's good so you can take precautions to prevent overage.  If you're referring to the Verizon data usage app/widget, it stopped updating it's self a long time ago; months to even a year. I think people complained that it was using data to keep it's self refreshing every X amount of minutes. Now you have to physically select the app and wait for it to update. Even then it's not going to be exact; the data you used 5 seconds ago might not show up as usage for many hours. Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Verizon Wireless Community Start a new discussion in iPhone 5s by email or at Verizon Wireless Community

|

|

© 2014 Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless

One Verizon Way

Mail Code: 180WVB

Basking Ridge, NJ 07920

Not interested in these emails anymore, or want to change how often they come? Update your email preferences by visiting https://community.verizonwireless.com/user-preferences!input.jspa.

|

We respect your privacy. Please review our privacy policy for more information

about click activity with Verizon Wireless and links included in this email.

|

|

|

0 Likes