Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
***Announcement: Welcome to the new Verizon Community! We have merged our Wireless and Fios Communities to bring you the best place to discuss any Verizon product or service, along with all things tech! We have many new features to discuss with you in the coming weeks, but first we want to make sure that all of you who have been active on either of our communities before are able to log in!

Please see the Announcement in the Announcement section under Information Hub.

Do I need an international SIM card to use my device in Europe?
Rich250
Enthusiast

Is it true that I don't need a different SIM card to use my iPhone 5 (3G LTE) in France and the Netherlands?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using iPhone 5 in Europe
rcschnoor
Super User
Super User

No, you don't NEED a different SIM card to use it in France and the Netherlands, but it would be a LOT less expensive if you choose to do so.

If you use a local SIM card from those locations, you would be paying the local rates of the providers in those areas. You would also have a local phone number which you would need to give to anyone in the states with whom you would like to stay in touch. If you use your Verizon SIM card, you would be paying Verizon's extremely high international rates for all calls/texts/data you use while there. These costs can be seen HERE, but for France/Netherlands the calling rate starts at $1/minute and texts you send are $0.50 each and $0.05 each for those received. Data would be $25/100MB.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Super User
Super User

No, you don't NEED a different SIM card to use it in France and the Netherlands, but it would be a LOT less expensive if you choose to do so.

If you use a local SIM card from those locations, you would be paying the local rates of the providers in those areas. You would also have a local phone number which you would need to give to anyone in the states with whom you would like to stay in touch. If you use your Verizon SIM card, you would be paying Verizon's extremely high international rates for all calls/texts/data you use while there. These costs can be seen HERE, but for France/Netherlands the calling rate starts at $1/minute and texts you send are $0.50 each and $0.05 each for those received. Data would be $25/100MB.

rcschnoor
Super User
Super User

International rates can be seen HERE, sorry.

0 Likes