Dropped Wi-Fi = Skyrocketed Data
mlewi108

I have recently gotten the iPhone 6 two weeks ago and noticed that my data have skyrocketed. Before the 6, I had the 4S. With the 4S, I had no wi-fi connectivity issues whatsoever and it was never dropped randomly. With the 6, it would constantly drop the connection and go to LTE (or sometimes 3G), even though I'm literally a few feet away from the router. This is ridiculous especially my mom (6 Plus) and brother (5C) are having the same issue. I'm always using the majority of my phone in wi-fi like games, YouTube, Safari and other apps. Normally, I never get past a gigabyte of data in a month but with the iPhone 6's constant wi-fi dropping, I have reached almost 900 MB in five days (cycle ends on the 28th of each month) and we went over our data plan because of it. I tried resetting the router, restarting it, restoring and resetting my iPhone and it still does it. My computer's wi-fi signal is very strong but the 5C, 6 and 6 Plus signal is weak. I hope they can refund us in someway. Decrease the data used, increase the space or something. I love my iPhone 6 but I can't afford to keep it if it continues to do this. Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Dropped Wi-Fi = Skyrocketed Data
Tidbits
Legend

The problem is 3G vs LTE and how some apps use the extra bandwidth. A lot of apps will use HD typr content which uses a lot more data. Going to use Netflix for example. On an 4S each movie is around 300mb on the high end. On a 5 or higher it's closers to 1GB on the low end for the same movie. You can go into your settings and force apps to only use WiFi data in the background which will help reduce those times where you drop WiFi. IPhone by design turn off WiFi when the screen is off and not plugged in after a time period.

0 Likes
mlewi108

That's the thing, though. It's plugged in and I'm currently using it at the moment. Typing in notes and email. Still constantly dropping the signal. And almost everything except for

0 Likes
mlewi108

Safari and a few apps are strictly only for wi-fi.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

When was the last time you reset your router? When you setup your phone did you use a backup for each device? Have to tried resetting network configurations?

0 Likes
mlewi108

Just a few days ago. I did have a backup for the devices and yes, I did tried resetting the configurations.

Marquis Lewis #18!

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Have you tried a different router. As silly as it sounds some routers are better than others. I recently switched to a newer AC router because the G router I had was having trouble keeping devices connected. Don't need to buy a new one. Check your library, go to starbucks, and such and test it out. Do a couple of places to see if it drops there. If it doesn't then you know it's your network and not your phone. If it does then it may be your phone. Best to check with Apple than to go through Verizon.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Did you update router firmware? Did you specifically go into the phone and do Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. 

0 Likes
mlewi108

Tidbits: Okay, I'll try it out at Starbucks and see if that works. Worse case scenario, I'll take it to Apple and see what's going on with it.

Marquis Lewis #18!

0 Likes
mlewi108

Weth: Yep. I already did both steps and it didn't work.

Marquis Lewis #18!

0 Likes