Eligibility?
justRun68
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am completely confused by all the terms attached to this "free iPhone 6". I am a year away from an upgrade - so why in the world would I pay $649 for a phone that I can buy at Apple for $199 (and then sell my 4S on Gazelle for cash to offset the Apple price)? Am I missing something here? Is there any way to extend my existing contract and take advantage of the promotion? If not, it sure is an interesting way to treat existing customers...

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Eligibility?
kgoose23
Enthusiast - Level 2

You shouldnt be able to buy the phone from apple for $199 either...unless you are eligible for an upgrade.  You can only get the discounted price at your upgrade date every two years if you are on contract.  I am in the same boat and usually upgrade at full price when I am not up for an upgrade.  The edge program might help if you are eligible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kgoose23
Enthusiast - Level 2

You shouldnt be able to buy the phone from apple for $199 either...unless you are eligible for an upgrade.  You can only get the discounted price at your upgrade date every two years if you are on contract.  I am in the same boat and usually upgrade at full price when I am not up for an upgrade.  The edge program might help if you are eligible.

0 Likes
thaoxa
Enthusiast - Level 3

Huh? The $199 is for new customers or people with upgrades available. The full price is for those looking to keep unlimited data by purchasing phone without subsidized phone or those who dont have upgrade available.

0 Likes
justRun68
Enthusiast - Level 1

ok...got it! I was too focused on the $199 price that's been thrown all over the place. Thanks for clearing it up!

Still curious as to why Verizon wouldn't extend my current contract...but that's another issue.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

justRun68 wrote:

Still curious as to why Verizon wouldn't extend my current contract...but that's another issue.

Aside from Apple not allowing it, you would end up with people tied to Verizon for 10-20 years on contract with several thousand dollars for an ETF.

For example, 2 yr contract and want to purchase a new phone after a year with a 2 yr extension on the contract.

You now have a 3 yr contract(1 year left on old contract +2 year contract extension) with an ETF of $580($350 -$120 for old contract) + ($350 for new contract).

Want to upgrade next year when the next iPhone comes out with a 2 yr contract extension???

You now have a 4 yr contract(2 years left on old contracts + 2 yr contract extension) with an ETF of $810($580 - $120 for old contracts) + ($350 for new contract).

Want to upgrade the following year when the next iPhone comes out with a 2 yr contract extension???

You now have a 5 yr contract(3 years left on old contracts + 2 yr contract extension) with an ETF of $1030($810 - $120 for old contracts) + ($350 for new contract).

Now THIS is all after ONLY a 3 year period upgrading 3 times with contract extensions once a year. How could this possibly be to the benefit of Verizon OR of the customer. Simply getting yourself in bigger debt to which you will never be able to get out of.Smiley Happy

Of course the first time you have a disagreement with Verizon, you will want to move to a lower cost provider and can't understand why it is going to cost you over a thousand dollars JUST TO LEAVE!!!!!!!