Excessive Data Useage 40 GB in 6 hours
FL750

In 6 hours while we were sleeping our plan went from roughly 30 GB used in the last 28 days to just under 100GB!  Checked data useage on all devices 2 iphones, 2 Ipads and a Macbook and the total data used by all of those devices totals 34GB some of which was on cable WiFi!  What can explain this and how can it be stopped?  Two devices were in airplane mode all night and the other two had no apps open in the background.  MacBOOK has activity monitor that tracks data usage.  Two devices were upgraded to IOS 9.3 yesterday.  Any ideas??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Excessive Data Useage 40 GB in 6 hours
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

FL750,

This certainly sounds like high data and we want to make sure we can get you some answers as we understand being alarmed. When you check your data usage via My Verizon, which line shows the most data being used within the last view days? Any devices that are on airplane mode has no data connectivity through the Verizon Wireless network. When turning this on, the cellular option along with personal hotspot will gray itself out so that it can not be turned on or accessed at all.

CandiceH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Mspflier

We are having the same issue and support has been insulting and seems happy we are going to ATT. Verizon is off the rails.

0 Likes
Madmadmom
Enthusiast - Level 1

Family base  is Something that should work really good for you.  We were about to turn off our plan after having Verizon forever (since they bought out airtouch and they took over them i. The 90s lol... So yes looong term customer). We have 4 boys and a  total of six phones. Family shared data.  Got tired of babysitting the data and everybody    Everybody had two gigs  they went over it would just take from other people and I wouldn't know unless I watched it and if they went over that it would put us over have a huge bill.  I went in to pay off phones and pull them off and Made them prepaids (losing their phone number and all doing that but I was tired of going over)  he told me about family base   It is $5  month and you allocate to each phone their data that they are allowed.  It will give them % warnings on their data usage so they know when they're getting close  and you can  for it to click off their data when they hit their max  and give them a little more if you wish.  You control everything but you know longer have to babysit it or worry about anymore overages.  There is also a lot of other cool features but this was my main one.  I'm no longer have to worry about going over.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mspflier - We would be heart broken if you left us. Let's work together and figure your data usage out. We would love for you to remain with us for years and years. What make/model devices do you have? Do all devices connect to Wi-Fi? Take a look at the account analysis tool to help you keep tabs on the data usage and more. http://vz.to/1nEV9V4
JacobV_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sound like a metering issue. Did anyone have mobile hotspot enabled at any point? Data usage reports can be delayed by several hours. Even then, a jump of 50GB is quite impressive, and the wireless network would be incapable of pushing that much in many areas during peak hours.

If such problem continues, stop by a Verizon Wireless corporate store and have the data component on each phone rebuilt. Also, get new SIM cards.

0 Likes