Extended Network Data not working with eSim
NEAFLA8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yesterday I was traveling with my family in a rural area of my state.  My iPhone XR indicated that I was on Extended Network and while I was able to make calls with four bars of signal, I was unable to use data at all.  When I tried I received a "no network" message.  My other family members were able to use data on older iPhones using physical SIMs.

When I dialed "*611" I was connected to US Cellular customer service rather than Verizon.

I check that the data was turned on and then reset the network settings, neither helped.

There are apparently still problems with the eSIm.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Extended Network Data not working with eSim
deloused
Master - Level 3

No, that’s not a problem with the E-SIM, it’s the carrier. If it was an E-SIM issue it would occur everywhere. For the US currently only the networks run by Verizon, AT&T & T-Mobile support E-SIM data services- Find wireless carriers that offer eSIM service - Apple Support

if you want to use the device normally in other network areas (like those operated by smaller carriers like US Cellular) just use a traditional SIM card.

0 Likes
NEAFLA8
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yet US Cellular supports Pixel 3 eSim via Google Fi.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

Yes that’s true. Yet US Cellular doesn’t support E-SIM on the Pixel 2 with Google Fi. But what do devices other than yours have to do with your issue?

0 Likes
NEAFLA8
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Yet US Cellular doesn’t support E-SIM on the Pixel 2 with Google Fi"

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

From reading the Android Authority & Reddit websites:

1) ‘Unlike the Pixel 2, the Pixel 3’s eSIM will work with any wireless carrier which has a system in place to utilize the technology, via XDA Developers. The Pixel 2’s eSIM is unfortunately locked to only work with Google’s own Project Fi

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-3-esim-918312/amp/

2) The Pixel 2 eSIM is locked to Project Fi. Whether or not this is an artificial limitation implemented by Google is unclear. At minimum, Google hasn't implemented the software necessary to add third party eSIMs, and porting efforts haven't worked so far.“

Is the Pixel 2 eSIM capability locked to Project Fi? : GooglePixel

0 Likes
NEAFLA8
Enthusiast - Level 2

But US Cellular is part of Project FI.  I can find anyone mentioning that their Pixel 2 or 3 can't utilize US Cellular as part of Project Fi or Google Fi when activated with eSim.

0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

No, US Cellular is not part of Google Fi

0 Likes
NEAFLA8
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
deloused
Master - Level 3

That means Google FI has a roaming agreement for their customers to use their devices on US Cellular‘s service in areas where Google FI doesn’t operate a network. They are not ‘part of each other’ they’re two completely separate companies.

Same as Verizon customers being able to use their devices on US Cellular’s network where Verizon doesn’t have coverage.

0 Likes